• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote start

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was perusing the forum and saw the remote start for a MEP set for sale and my brain started wondering "Has anyone rigged a remote start up to their truck, and if so, how?"

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was perusing the forum and saw the remote start for a MEP set for sale and my brain started wondering "Has anyone rigged a remote start up to their truck, and if so, how?"
It's hell when you get old... I just can't remember WHO. I have seen several discussions and installations on LMTV's for electric windows, remote start, and electric door locks. I know you don't have one, but I would be willing to bet that you could have those same features for Bertha or the cute little M37.

Helicool's Helipad shows the install in his LMTV and links to several others on YouTube.

EDIT: Chad @ Broke Overland is another good source of information.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe one day when I don't have so many irons in the fire I'll figure out how to get past the engine stop issue and others without totally re-engineering the ignition system.

charlesmann

[/QUOTE]
There are 24v remote start kits out there. The problem on the older trucks would be the engine stop.

What is the problem that exists with the engine stop with the remote starts? Is it by-passing the shut off solenoid when attempting to start, or when trying to shut the engine off?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
On the older multifuels, deuces, maybe a few of the 809 series trucks (I can't remember) they use a physical pull lever to stop the engine. You can cut power on them and the engine will continue to run.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Most controllers have a shut down function as well to time out or in the event there's no oil pressure.

charlesmann

Will the eng shut down timer burn the controller out if the eng doesnt shut down?
When ken posted this thread, i tried finding info on older diesels with electrical shut down solenoids.
Only issues people were complaining about were glow plug timers not activating, first time failed starts due to colder temps and starter staying engaged till the start timer timed out.

These were old posts, back as old as 02 and as recent as 15.
I didnt see any complaint about low/no oil psi, which the older cummins, ford idi/ international engines didnt have a shut down protocol for low/no oil psi or high coolant temps. I found that out on my 89 ford with a 6.9l and the oil pump went out.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't see that happening. But again, if you start the truck and it has no oil pressure, it's going to keep on running. Until it doesn't run....

charlesmann

Wouldnt see what happening?

As for no oil psi and running till it doesnt, that supports ndt and weldman’s reply about wanting to watch the gauges after the eng started.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The controller damage itself if shutdown isn't achieved. I very much don't want a engine running without some means of shutdown in the event there's no/low oil pressure. The only audible indicator would be when it's already too late.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess I'm particular but a PMCS is required before moving the vehicle so pointless to remote start it from anywhere since before one starts it they need to check if all systems are a go.
I have a CDL and if I were to have done a remote start on my CDL test I would of been failed before the truck built up air pressure.
Cool idea to have and is nice in a Class 1 to Class 3 vehicle but these rigs need PMCSing before leaving our driveways to prevent accidents that will give MV's a bad name. Good example, look at the 40 plus footer Class A diesel pushers going down the road with 90 year old man with cataracts and a colostomy bag strapped on towing a Jeep or more, not a ounce of responsibility there be taken.

Not meaning to bash the OP so don't take it that way, I'm just picky.
Not taking it that way at all.

For me , I work with robots (electronics, hydraulics and electronically controlled electronics and hydraulics) and it is an excersize in the theory to make it work.

I absolutely agree these trucks need to be checked before driving etc.

As far as the shut off issue, this idea is to start it, not to shut it down.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh yeah, another point no one has mentioned. Neutral. The 5 speed trucks certainly don't have a neutral indicator. Nor is there any sort of easy way to make that happen. The autos wouldn't be as hard though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks