• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

remote start

Zero_cool

I was wondering if anyone has installed a remote start on there rigs?
I have a M-1028 and would like to install one if possible.
Does anyone have any tips for me if i can install this my-self or would it be a better idea to have a shop do this...
I am mechanically inclined but have never messed with a remote start before
Thanks..

JAsher45

i just would not reccomend this.... there are to many manual things to do when starting these trucks... glow plug cycle stepping the the throttle for the cold idle curcuit to work right... sure would be great but i just dont think it would be a good idea.

Lawrence of Arabia

I am a mechanic, but always have someone else install the remote starts. I asked the guy that does mine and with the whole glow plug issue, he said it would not be possible to do. So I guess I will have to resort to the kids and wife for my remote start.

blybrook

You can remote start a diesel. The local shops have been doing it up here in Fairbanks for years... The trouble comes with the cold idle circuit, but I know they've worked around it as well.

I'm aware of several non-mv diesels (all makes) that has remote start in my local area. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. It's just extra wiring and maintenance problems waiting to happen.

Just my 2cents

Crash_AF

A good remote start system will have a wire for the glow plug delay. I've installed a couple of them and they're not difficult, just tedious.

I would consider putting one on my 1009 one of these days after some of the other projects were pared down.

Later,
Joe

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesel - just what I was thinking - the M818. but I always leave it in 1st gear as an added safety precution against rolling. that plus wheel chocks and the brake.

JGolden

Speaking from experience, by just leaning in and pushing the start button in the m35a2... If its in low gear, it cranks and it goes. I don't know how advance the remote starts are but they would have to be able to tell if its in neutral before starting or i wouldn't even think of putting one on...

BIG_RED

Don't have it done. I've had nothing but terrible experiences with so called "professional installers". I've thought about a remote start for my M1009. I'm currently back to school to become a mechanical/electrical engineer, and have designed a system that would hook up to an off-the-shelf remote starter to make it work on old diesels. I have no time and not much money to build it, so I won't have remote start for a while. But I have put a lot of thought into how it would work. There are remote starters set up for a diesel and a standard (where it waits for the wait light to go out and has a sensor that makes sure you're in neutral) but I've never seen one that will also press the gas pedal when cranking. (mine needs that if it's cold)

Cold weather is a big concern where I live, and a major reason that diesels are relatively rare up here. Everything gets plugged in at night when it gets cold. It will get to -40* or even colder at night sometimes. I mix my anti-freeze 70%-30%, because if I didn't, it would freeze if the truck weren't plugged in. I have 2 x600watt block heaters. They are needed.

At school, I have a plug on a post at my parking spot. Everyone does, that's normal up here. (not to belittle all the northerners on here, just making it clear to our southern friends. My buddy's minivan was once the center of attention at a southern walmart because people noticed a plug hanging out of the grill and thought it was an electric van. No joke.) The scary thing is that if there were to be a power failure at the parking lot (not uncommon) there is not much hope for a 6.2 to start at -40* without any block heater. I live almost an hour away from the school, I can't walk (in the cold, we're advised not to be outside more than ten minutes for fear your skin will freeze and die) so it's kinda important the truck starts.

So, last year I bought a 1200 watt gasoline generator for $150, boxing day special (like black friday up here). I've re-jetted it for cold weather, and keep it in the back of the M1009 at all times. If the plug is dead where I have parked all day, or if I'm out working in the middle of nowhere and there is no plug, I go to my truck an hour before I intend to drive, Pull out the generator, Chain it to the bumper and let it run. When I come back, my coolant is warm, and the truck starts no problem. I also have a battery charger in the back, so I can charge my batteries while the engine warms.

Now, I'm sure a lot of you reading this are thinking "that's absolutely ridiculous". And you'd be right. If I could start my truck with my key fob and let it run for 20 minutes every 2 hours, I wouldn't need to haul a generator everywhere I go. So I designed something that would wire into my truck and start it every so often, with a solenoid to press the gas pedal down and temp sensors to start it when it gets cold, but not try to start it when it's already cold cause that'd just be a waste of battery power. Also would connect to the reverse light switch, so that a passer by couldn't hop in and drive away (passing reverse on the way to drive would kill the engine). I also plan to mount my small generator on one of those "back Racks" that is like a shelf for the back of the truck that goes into the 2" trailer hitch receiver. That would free up space behind the seat, and I could wire the generator's electric start into the remote start system so that the generator would start up and shut off to keep the truck warm. It's fuel tank has enough for 6 hours, so if it's on half the time I could leave it for 12 hours and still come back to a warm engine and charged batteries.

It's all a pipe dream right now, as I have no time to mess around. But, later this year when I do get around to building something like this, would anyone else be interested in such a device? A remote start adapter able to start an old diesel truck based on temperature, time of day or with a signal from a cheapo new car remote start unit? (with or without standby generator support). If there is a potential demand for these things, I could build it at the school on CNC equipment so that I could make lots of them. I never thought about others needing something like me :p

blybrook

I have to agree with Big Red on all his points for reasons to avoid the commercial units, it sounds like his idea is a good one. It's the same scene here in Fairbanks for cold weather needs. Most parking lots where you'll be sitting for more than 6 hours will have plug ins for you to utilize. When it hits -20* and colder; it's time to plug your rig in.

My 7.3L non-idi in my diesel will start from cold @ -30*F after 10 hours; but it doesn't like it all that much. I typically plug in from 0* and colder about 3 hours before starting if it's sat longer than 6 hours. I have dual battery heaters (changing out to a trickle charger), one block heater and one oil pan heater. I don't have anything on the transmission or transfer case, but know those that do. The reason for changing from a battery blanket to a trickle charger is that a fully charged battery will not freeze and the blankets / pads have a tendency to short out every couple of years.

We have fun with the tourists with all of the electric plugs sticking out of our vehicles as well. Living in the colder climates is fun.

Zero_cool

Hey guys sorry for some reason it was not emailing me that more people were replying.
Thanks for all the replies and good advice.
BIGRED..Yes i think that would be a great idea aswell. I would definatly be interested.
Throw me a message when you figure out what your going to do
Thanks again

Atwater

havent quite yet got all the details down but my plan has been to use a remote starter to control a fuel fired coolant heater, possibly with the heater set up as a standalone system so as to not drain needed battery power for cranking.:idea:

seems to me something along those lines would solve most of the problems i remember from when my younger brother had an 82 chev 1/2 ton with the 6.2:evil:

Brett09

I've done a lot of these back in the day. A "good" remote start has no issues starting your engine. They monitor rpm or for diesel without a tach you can use an alternator sensor. They also use a "wait to start wire" for diesel for the glow plugs. If you use a push button for your glow plugs you can use an output that is either timed or momentary from the alarm. For the fast idle you can use another output and a trunk solenoid to tap the gas. The hardest part is finding a good installer or do it yourself. The programing can be a real pain in the butt, but I've been out for years so I'm sure its a matter of plugging in it now.....if they release the program/interface to the public.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks