• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removable Steering Wheel M818

Wastelander

Hey there, figured mods was where this question belonged. In a different thread I discussed taking my 818 and turning it into a wasteland post apocalypse beast. After seeing the new Mad Max movie I decided that my 818 needs a custom removable steering wheel. My question is whether or not this is something than can be done relatively easy to an M818. I know that with enough time and money anything is possible, but I'm hoping there is a way to do this without a good chunk of custom fab work from me at work in the weld and machining shop. Anyone have any leads or insight?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm sure your thread will be deleted soon, they don't like "wasteland post apocalypse beast" threads.

Basically, no. The horn wire goes through the steering wheel and would need quite a bit of fab work to make it removable.

Wastelander

Yeah, I kinda figured it'd get deleted before too long, thought I'd throw it out there and hope for a decent reply before it gets taken down. I removed the horn button and wiring, got rid of the horn entirely and installed a pull-cord activated air horn with a deeper tone. I was thinking that would make the quick change option doable.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, the stock sterringwheel is held on by a nut and threads. You'd have to find a way to convert that to "easy on, easy off".

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
And it would have to be secure. You dont want it coming off during operation. I have seen removeable adapter kits used on classic cars to help prevent theft. I believe they were for straight bolt on style wheels though. The horn switch can always be relocated with a push button switch mounted somewhere.

Wastelander

I upgraded the horn to a deeper tone 4 chime horn, and removed the button and wiring entirely from the steering wheel already, I rigged up a pull cord that activates the horn now.

Security of the wheel while operating is what I was most worried about, its a mod I was thinking about doing for a while, thought it'd be a nice anti theft measure to add to my battery kill switch and door locks. Just hadn't found anyone who had done it before. I found a couple of the kits you mentioned, and was wondering if I could copy what they were doing, obviously modified for the rig.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks