• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remove paint but leave CARC!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say I was able to get about 99% of the paint removed. The green and tan have a slightly darker tone than the other side but it looks a world better than what it looked like before.

During the final stages of wiping it down I ended up finding a few spots that had been touched up once before.

From what I’ve read, Rapco makes the best matching touch up, yes? Slight sanding prep, spray and then after dried, spray with WD40 to “flatten it out” to match the old sun beaten CARC?
Spraying WD-40 on paint is beyond dumb....

mturner2003

If he's concerned about color matching.... at this point the best thing to do would be to just prep and shoot the entire truck. (House paint over the more or less intact CARC).

Even if he manages to do a partial paint job to match the rest of the faded CARC now, in 6 months it'll no longer match due to unequal rates of fading.
Guys, lol. I’m just trying to fix the one panel. There is absolutely no need to paint the entire vehicle. The paint is excellent.

From all the research I have found on this site, if you use Rapco paint, once it dries spray wd40 on it and let it sit until it soaks and the flatness will match.

But if armytankguy’s paint is the way to go, I’ll give it a try.

At the end of the day if the flatness doesn’t match completely, I’m not too concerned. I just want the correct color. After all, it is a military surplus vehicle.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. Was that necessary? If you are going to criticize, at least provide some reasoning. Everyone has their own opinion but without reasoning or facts you’re just another troll.
It is a solvent; if you ever plan on doing any kind of a quality paint job after you spray anything like that on paint you will have massive issues getting another good paint job without fish-eyes ETC.

Also, if using RAPCO, park it outside for a month or so and it will "flatten out" naturally.

Last edited:

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried the Rapco 383 and didn't like it. The Aervoe 383, however was a perfect match to the original CARC from 2001. Even after 9 months outside the Rapco is still overly bold to match the CARC.

20190127_112850.jpg

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be fair, the Rapco 383 brown was a good match. Since you're trying to match existing paint maybe a sampling of brands would be good to experiment with.

mturner2003

Ahh. Gotcha. I can see the difference. It’s definitely not enough of a difference for me to be worried about it. Appreciate your follow up! I still haven’t painted the panel yet, lol. I took it off for the summer time. 😎

ramdough

I have black spray paint over the original truck numbers. Do you guys recommend using acetone to pull off the paint? Truck is tan and staying tan. I would be concerned that I would just get a smear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mturner2003

I have black spray paint over the original truck numbers. Do you guys recommend using acetone to pull off the paint? Truck is tan and staying tan. I would be concerned that I would just get a smear.

It can run... but what I did because l had so much to remove, I put the acetone in a bucket and used a scotch brite pad and would douse the painted areas. That way it would all run off. But mine is camo and not tan, so it may show some streaking? Test a small area first.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Is the goal to recover the numbers? If so, I'd lightly sand until they're visible.

Is the goal to just get rid of the black and make it all tan? A rattlecan of tan paint will provide acceptable results.

ramdough

Is the goal to recover the numbers? If so, I'd lightly sand until they're visible.

Is the goal to just get rid of the black and make it all tan? A rattlecan of tan paint will provide acceptable results.
The goal is to make it all tan without being able to tell it was ever touched up.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will never get a match on old paint, you will even have problems with a match If sprayed from different batches, minimal, but it’s just the nature of the beast. Latex house pant can be mixed to exact FSC standards and is a dead on match for CARC color and finish, the only draw back I see is that it does not sand well, being a latex it wants to ball up on the paper, but I’ve sprayed many trucks and years later they look better then real CARC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks