• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remove Paint, Leave CARC

TheDrip

My m1028 was painted before I got it by a national Park. They painted it white. On the roof & hood. the paint is disappearing from sunlight exposure. First the clear peels up, then the paint under it turns to white dust. It has exposed the green in some areas. I 'spilled' some brake fluid on the hood to see if that would pull the paint but not the CARC. It pulled up the clear & color coats, but seems to have left the primer coat behind. Is there a good way to strip all the paint/primer off, but leave the CARC in place? I just want my truck to be green again!

It's only half of the work you thing, the truck has a flatbed, so no pain to strip there, it's the cab only.

Thanks

54reo

I have used "Easy Off" oven cleaner with good results on a few M105 trailers.

May want to try in a hidden spot first.

Chief_919

The standard way we test to see if something has CARC in the military is to rub it with acetone and a rag. If paint comes off, it is not CARC.

So acetone should work.

TheDrip

Well, acetone (not pure, just the wife's nail polish remover) worked alright at pulling up the white where I had previous left brake fluid, but didn't even make a dent in the regular paint. Guess I'll go pick up some lacquer thinner and see how it goes...

3dubs

Does your wife know you took her nail polish remover? If not blame it on the kids and then get more to get the kids out of trouble. It never works me but it might for you. My wife knows when something whacky happens it was most likely me. Then when I say I didn't do it but will fix it right now that means; you do not want to know. A search for "pinky" will take to a great thread aboout removing paint but not CARC. But he already gave you the answer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks