• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remove spray paint over CARC paint

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a generator that belonged to the Navy. It has a USN number in applied vinyl numerals. The numerals have black spray paint applied over them apparently to mark the USN number as no longer valid. We’d like to remove the spray paint, but leave the green CARC paint intact. Any ideas?

1683404641039.png

Last edited:

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually the car paint is pretty tough I've wiped spray paint off with mineral spirits before and you can still see the numbers.
Just what I've done

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks! We want to preserve its history. There’s a debate going on between Bob and me though. If the Navy applied the spray paint it would be a part of its history. I’m leaning toward making it prettier!

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also use a special type of paint prep type of degreaser that eliminates all Grease, also some possible acetone but it's just getting a real wet rag go right in the spot wipe it real fast and see what happens usually you can bring it out. I did it on my truck where I could still make out the whole numbers and everything like it was almost factory.
But try just to concentrate in that area. I also have got a can of carc paint from Sherwin Williams and also I think creative coatings on as a roll on air dry type application. matched pretty good to blend in areas.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We have a generator that belonged to the Navy. It has a USN number in applied vinyl numerals. The numerals have black spray paint applied over them apparently to mark the USN number as no longer valid. We’d like to remove the spray paint, but leave the green CARC paint intact. Any ideas?

View attachment 896617
If you decide to be rid of the overspray on the vinyl numbers, everybody seems to have offered good ideas. If you want to lose the vinyl lettering, a heat gun will soften the adhesive and a plastic scraper (Gently Used!) will remove the lettering. Yeah, not your hair dryer - a real heat gun...

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! We want to preserve its history. There’s a debate going on between Bob and me though. If the Navy applied the spray paint it would be a part of its history. I’m leaning toward making it prettier!
I missed "vinyl stickers" mine were sprayed with stencil , so more like the heat gun to get the vinyl off as just described. My mistake

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you sure should be very glad it is only rattle-can paint on your decals .. one of our M818's CARC is 98% flaked off after bi-annual pressure-washes for the last 15 years,, although the CARC is holding fast to the pair of vinyl "us army 05F******" on its hood .. The rest of the truck is down to the old wet-sanded dull OD layer, but any more press-wash on the truck's decals is going to damage them .. I guess I need to wait another 10 years for the CARC to fall off the vinyl .. I won't be alive long enough :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Ray70

Hi Evvy, You're probably going to have a hard time removing the spray paint without destroying the vinyl stickers under it.
Rattle can paint comes off pretty easily with lacquer thinner or acetone as mentioned above. It will require a fair amount of scrubbing to get it out of the texture of the CARC, but unfortunately you will not be able to get right up close to the stickers clean and you will destroy the stickers too.
I would try it and worst case remove the stickers, clean the panels and purchase new stickers from any of 100 on-line custom sticker places... or.... buy yourself a Cricut label maker and you can cut your own new stickers!