• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remove water from oil./ effective filtering

Kohburn

Racor is common commercial truck equipment. you can also get them with a heating element in the filter which should help running oil in the winter.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old farm boy method to get water and fuel or oil in a barrel separated was to let it set in warm weather to settle and separate, then let it be exposed to freezing cold in the winter. After about a week of really cold freezing weather, open the barrel bung and pour off the fuel or oil. The water will be ice in the bottom of the barrel, not coming out and also trapping sediment that settled to the bottom. The cost is nothing, but the time factor is longer!

Regards Marti

paulfarber

for the water holding capacity. when used stationary you can either drain it regularly or add tubing to in another sealed container to increase capacity.
I'm thinking no.

I held the unit in my hand and the drain on the sediment bowl is just that, for sediment. The ELEMENT itself is made with a special material that absorbs the water and holds in the media.... otherwise it would be impossible to make the claim 'flow reduces as the media becomes saturated'. Water than is not emulsified would go to the bottom of the sediment bowl, but anything still mixed in it has to hit the filter to be absorbed.

Read up on the element and its pretty clear:
"Water-absorbing polymers trap water and restrict fuel flow which is your signal to replace the element."

paulfarber

I am still working on the TP water filter.. I read this:
Now it is time to measure the remaining water in the pitcher and calculate the difference which is the water the roll of TP absorbed. The starting water was approximately 41 ounces or 1240 ml or a little over 2.5 pints of water. The final measurement was about 12 ounces or 865 ml or about 3/4 pint left. The difference equals 29 ounces or 865 ml or 1.75 pints of water absorbed. This is almost FIVE TIMES the amount of water Frantz claims the TP will retain or remove from your oil. I was quite impressed with the results of my unofficial experiment."

From Myth #1

Over 1.5 PINTS of water... I don't expect to realistically hold HALF that much.. but still better then $15 for 1 CUP of water.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know if this water you're getting that was emulsified or just free water?

I use a simular system and was wondering where this water is coming from.

Thanks,
Orren

My method of removing water is to heat the oil in a barrel to 150 F for at least 8 hours. The water settles to the bottom and the oil rises to the top. Next, draw the water off a bottom bung in the barrel with a ball valve into a clear hose. Crack the valve open and let the water flow until the stream turns 100% black. I use this method before I gravity drain through 5 sock filters (50/25/10/5/1 micron) and then I pump it back into the barrel and run my centrifuge. Overkill, yes. But I'm a mechanical engineer that over engineers everything.

paulfarber

That Mr. Filter only get the 'free water'. Anything emulsified is going straight through it.

Also, there seems to be an issue that excessive head pressure (ie fuel in the bowl) can push water through.

I don't see this as a solution to filtering water from WMO...

I hope you didn't pay $90+ for it as some are listed at.

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/fuelsystem/mrfunnel.html

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks