• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing a non-functional M51 dump bed

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK small problem here.

Is it possible to remove the dump bed from an M51A2 without a functional hydraulic pump?

Background: we had the dump bed including subframe and hydraylics removed for working on the truck, then put it back for transport. The idea was that once on its final location, we would again remove everything in one go, so I did not reconnect the hydraylics and pto shaft, and the subframe was fixed to the frame only with 6 of the 12 bolts. For working on the truck itself (drive train, wiring and brakes, frame) it is better to have the bed and the subframe off. However, I figured out that for doing a good job, it is better to separate the bed from the subframe as well, and treat each part (dump bed, subframe, frame) separately.

Can I separate subframe and bed afterwards (I hope so) or do I have to fix everything back again properly, then remove the bed proper, then remove the subframe?

TM ...20 (lousy pictures, can't see anything) and ...30-2/4 mention that first the hoists - cylinders of the hydraulic system have to be freed and lowered separately while the bed is up and secured. After that the bed is lowered by chains to a horizontal position, the hinges freed and the bed removed. The extra work is not the problem, keeping the bed up with chains and lowering it back down is: we don't have a high enough stable point for those chains.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump. Spring took a step forward and two back but is coming up again. So I am getting ready to get the truck into the repair shop.

To repeat: how do I get a dump bed off a dump truck while leaving the sub frame and hydraulics attached to the truck WITHOUT functional hydraulics? We can raise the bed a bit with jacks, and fix it on support-legs and drive the truck out from under it, but can we get the hydraulic cylinders disconnected without raising the bed to max height and later lowering it with chains (as described in the PMs)?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks