• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing Axles for Highway Driving?

SixSpeed

Banned
Hey Guys,

Couple questions when it comes to pulling axles on the 5-Ton...(Looking for highway MPG on a long trip)

1.) For the rear axles, should I pull the front set, or pull the rear and remove the intermediate drive shaft?

2.) If you pull the front axle's & drive shaft...the sprag will think is it slipping and engage, is this correct? Would this damage anything, or does the sprag need to be disconnected?

3.) Would it be wise to make some sort of cover for the axles, say a piece of polycarbonate or something to seal them back up?

Any tips would be great. Thanks guys!

SixSpeed

Banned
Truck has detroits, would have to pull both shafts.

Since I don't know too much about this, why is the rest of it a "huge pain"? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel consumption would be negligible. If anything, just pull the front driveshaft, in the event the sprague is locked up.

KsM715

I dont see any harm in pulling the front driveshaft. If the sprag engages it will just spin the front yolk.

If your worried about the spag after you pull the shaft you could cut the air off to the transmission to keep the sprag in neutral

jwaller

ah, you have lockers. yes you will need to pull both on the front tandem. it's a huge pain bc there are a lot of bolts, hard to get to and you will have an even harder time getting the driveshaft back in after you run it around. and as I've said you won't gain a single mpg out of the whole thing.

pulling and axle shaft is quick and easy.

Reactions: art

M813A1

It should be easy to pull the short shaft from between the rear drives and only drive with the front drive axle pulling and it should not effect the sprag and it should work as a 4x4 and give you some more mileage with less drag on the drive line and increase your mileage !!

Last edited:

powerhouseduece

Start collecting the flanges for the front axles. Despline a set for the front and pull the middle axle axle-shafts and bolt the drive flanges on to cover the hub.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did all this stuff some time ago - like along about 35+ years ago, for a trip down the Alcan to Dawson Creek in a M211. Pulled axels, had de-splined flanges for the front axle. While there, I got stuck, put all the stuff back, and came home w/stuff installed...... No measureable difference in MPG. I think were talking, close to the same kinds of trucks! My bet - No measureable difference in GPM, but it will keep you busy

Lee in Alaska

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It should be easy to pull the short shaft from between the rear drives and only drive with the front drive axle pulling and it should not effect the sprag and work it would work as a 4x4 and give you some more milage with less drag on the drive line and increase your mileage !!
Two threads people should read before taking up that advice:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/39811-thought-u-joints-tandems.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/38371-deuce-transmission-disaster-pics.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks