• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing / Dropping the Fuel Tank on a M1165A1 ECV

GTUnit

I searched, watched youtube videos, and went through the TMs. The M998 tank removal procedure does not work on a M1165A1 because the tank uses 4 steel hardlines for fuel and vent. These lines crossover the top part of the transfer case and get hung up on the transfer case if one tries to drop the tank in the same manner as a M998.
Do all these steel lines need to be disconnected at the top of the tank before it can be dropped?

If thats the case there is no point in disconnecting the rubber lines on the side of the tank, from underneath, as shown in the old TMs.

EDIT: I figured it out. I will edit this thread into a HOW TO instead.

283C86AC-5827-4D1C-B58A-97736AA83964.jpeg

C9497D8E-0781-4113-8794-A2BA052099A2.jpeg

2A979159-5FA5-45DD-ACCA-8EA8D0577726.jpeg

166B909C-DBA7-42AF-AB9F-A84A3F21475F.jpeg

2189E580-14B8-4804-A42C-182832D6051A.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

GTUnit

Removing the fuel tank is the same on every truck regardless of model….I just did an M1123 last week.
Looks like I misread the instructions. It does say to disconnect the hard lines from the top of the tank.
I was reluctant to mess with the flares since my line wrenches did not fit over 2 of them but luckily standard open end wrench works fine. They are not tight like brake lines.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would assume you would just disconnect the lines at the tank, the TM was written before the fuel tank access door was standard, that crossover vent line is kind of a PITA but doable.
Removing the fuel tank is the same on every truck regardless of model….I just did an M1123 last week.
So you do not have to disconnect the lines on top? not all HMMWVs have an access door on top.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would assume you would just disconnect the lines at the tank, the TM was written before the fuel tank access door was standard, that crossover vent line is kind of a PITA but doable.

So you do not have to disconnect the lines on top? not all HMMWVs have an access door on top.
there is no reason to disconnect the hard lines to drop a fuel tank…the only trucks that don’t have an access panal are A0-A1, but a kit was developed to install the panal, which can be done with the tank still in the truck.

GTUnit

The reason to disconnect the hard lines is shown in the OP photos. The hard lines cross over the top of the transfer case. To a degree where they cannot just be pushed aside. Not without mangling them. My tank is not coming down without disconnecting the lines at the top of the tank.

On this model tank and this version hardlines they overhang the transfer case quite a bit. I dont see how they can be moved aside without trashing them.

This photo is taken with camera centered on the tank fittings:

IMG_7400.jpg

Just for reference:
IMG_7403.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason to disconnect the hard lines is shown in the OP photos. The hard lines cross over the top of the transfer case. To a degree where they cannot just be pushed aside. Not without mangling them. My tank is not coming down without disconnecting the lines at the top of the tank.

On this model tank and this version hardlines they overhang the transfer case quite a bit. I dont see how they can be moved aside without trashing them.

View attachment 876862

Just for reference:
View attachment 876863
your welcome to do it anyway you like, I do maybe a
Tank every month, drop the DS, drop the rear rotor protection, disconnect the fuel line from the frame rail lines, remove the fuel filler, remove the vent lines, remove the straps, slide the tank down at the rear and slide it backwards and out…installation is reverse with front nose and fuel line inserted up and between the tcase.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 876862

Just for reference:
View attachment 876863
OK now I see what you are saying, my M998 lines run the same way although less of them (went back with two supply lines both with socks and one vent line), I had no problem pulling the tank with them in place

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 876862

Just for reference:
View attachment 876863
WHY did this tank have to come out???????

GTUnit

your welcome to do it anyway you like, I do maybe a
Tank every month, drop the DS, drop the rear rotor protection, disconnect the fuel line from the frame rail lines, remove the fuel filler, remove the vent lines, remove the straps, slide the tank down at the rear and slide it backwards and out…installation is reverse with front nose and fuel line inserted up and between the tcase.
I respect your expertise on the subject. I tried it every which way and the back of the tank kept getting hung up on the diff yoke.
The tank had 10 gallons of fuel in it. Maybe that was the issue. I supported it with a jack but the weight may have prevented the maneuverability needed.
(I didnt drain it because I couldnt risk spilling fuel at this particular location)

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I respect your expertise on the subject. I tried it every which way and the back of the tank kept getting hung up on the diff yoke.
The tank had 10 gallons of fuel in it. Maybe that was the issue. I supported it with a jack but the weight may have prevented the maneuverability needed.
(I didnt drain it because I couldnt risk spilling fuel at this particular location)
you have to drain the tank, 10 gallons of fuel is heavy as hell.

GTUnit

WHY did this tank have to come out???????
This HMMWV sat in the yard without a gas cap. To be thorough I pulled the tank to clean everything out
Yes I understand that but if not spilling ANY is important you can control the siphon but you cannot put the plug back in.
Yeah the plug was a pain to get out even with an empty tank. I found an old plug inside the tank. I understood why it was in there after I realized the easiest way to get the old, decrepit, plug out is to push it in.

I can siphon, just thought it would be cleaner dropping the tank with the fuel in it. Lesson learned.

BTW this little $12 harbor freight battery operated transfer pump is excellent. Doesnt have a long hose to siphon, but tank to tank, its great,

Attachments

Reactions: OBX

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This HMMWV sat in the yard without a gas cap. To be thorough I pulled the tank to clean everything out

Yeah the plug was a pain to get out even with an empty tank. I found an old plug inside the tank. I understood why it was in there after I realized the easiest way to get the old, decrepit, plug out is to push it in.

I can siphon, just thought it would be cleaner dropping the tank with the fuel in it. Lesson learned.

BTW this little $12 harbor freight battery operated transfer pump is excellent. Doesnt have a long hose to siphon, but tank to tank, its great,
I’ve used that same pump to de-fuel tanks from the fuel sender hole when the tank is full, once it can’t get anymore, I just pull the plug.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks