• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing inner tire

govt

I'm a little embarrassed to be asking this but I'm stuck...literally. Trying to remove the two back tires. Outer tire came off with no issues. Inner tire won't move. Got the sledgehammer out...still nothing. I'm afraid I'm going to knock the truck off the jacks if I keep beating on it. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

govt

I think I just found it from your suggestion. I went back out to see if the square lug bolts rotate. Yup. Looks like they rotate in the same direction as the nut?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I can't tell you how many people ask me how my rear rims stay on, as I use the bud caps. I like them better as its a nice step if I want to climb in the bed if I can't get in the tailgate.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Don't be embarrassed Govt...I twisted off two out of 5 lug nuts on my M38A1 before I remembered they were reverse threaded on the driver's side:roll:

Gimp and Gohot do have a point though...did you remove the buds??
That's the only reason I can think of that would keep the wheel from almost just falling off.

BugEyeBear

Just remember right side (passenger)=right handed threads, left side (driver)=left handed threads
USUALLY!!

But occasionally you'll find a few RH-lugs/studs on the left, and even LH-lugs/studs on the right.

It appears that sometimes they use whatever is available. :doh:

Always a good idea to look at the end of the studs for an "L", or just take a close look at the exposed threads.

Keith_J

I thought the buds were opposite thread of the nuts? That would be right hand thread on the left side and left handed thread on the right.

Of course it has been YEARS since I have had to pull the duals. When servicing, I rather pull duals together.

BugEyeBear

I thought the buds were opposite thread of the nuts? That would be right hand thread on the left side and left handed thread on the right.

Of course it has been YEARS since I have had to pull the duals. When servicing, I rather pull duals together.
The Bud nuts & the Outer nuts should be handed the same on a particular wheel stud.

i.e. left & left, right & right

OTHERWISE you'd be loosening the bud nut as you are trying to tighten the outer nut!

All lugs on the left side of the truck should be LH, and all lugs on the right side of the truck should be RH.

ALTHOUGH I've seen an occasional RH stud/bud/nut on the left side of a vehicle. I figiure it was the only spare lug in house when one broke.

I'VE ALSO SEEN all lugs as RH.
I assume that someone decided to eliminate the LH threads.

govt

The buds on my unit don't have any letters (L or R) so I'm thinking it's anything goes when removing.

BugEyeBear

The buds on my unit don't have any letters (L or R) so I'm thinking it's anything goes when removing.
Take a close look at the threads and you should be able to tell whether they are RH or LH.

AT FIRST you can probably ASSUME that studs/buds/nuts on the RH side are RH, & studs/buds/nuts on the LH side are LH.
Try to remove them w the air gun using this assumption & IF THEY RESIST take a closer look at the threads.

IF you are removing using hand tools it is probably a good idea to examine the threads 1st to determine RH or LH.
Might save you a few scraped knuckles!
AND might keep you from using "colorful" language!!

Remember that for NORMAL threads:
"Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty"
(MY MIND struggles to accept the opposite when threads are reversed!!) :confused:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks