• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

removing IP head - what am I missing

serial14

I've read all the manuals and all of the posts in the forums and I still can't figure out how to get the IP head off. I've located the scribed tooth on the head and the pointer inside the cut off cover and have lined them up. The fuel lines have been removed, and my pump doesn't have a oil valve on the head so I don't have to worry about that. The head will lift up about 1/16" - 1/8" but then won't come any further.

Am I missing something or do I just need to pull harder?

lavarok

You need to remove the fuel shutoff assembly from the side of the unit.
Follow the cable for fuel shutoff, remove the cover and the assembly from side of IP....the head will slide right off after.

serial14

How much of the fuel shutoff assembly should I remove? I've removed the cover so I could line up the gears. Do I need to remove the bolts that hold in the linkage?

lavarok

YES - remove the linkage bolts and slide the assembly out carefully. There is a small retaining washer too if I recall around the shaft of the assembly keeping it attached to the linkage.

blackwater1

Hi Cranehead

My deuce has some fuel coming out the little hole in the head --shown in your picture.
What do i need to do to fix it?:cry:

I was going to try to get a picture -- but thanks to you we have it.

Thanks Mike

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to replace the O-rings of the hydraulic head. Also do an oil analysis of the crankcase oil, it probably has a high percentage of fuel ...

blackwater1

Just take the lines and top off and ill find the oil rings? and are they special o-rings or will i be able to find them at an auto supply. thanks for the help

blackwater1

What great info to keep great old trucks running --- cranetruck thank you!!

while your at it i can reply to a post but cant start a new one -- i sent a message about it to support 2 days ago but havent heard back --- any ideas?? :roll:

mike

blackwater1

Well with the help of this thread -- I tore the IP head off to replace the 2 0-rings. It went as expected the 2 hr job took about 12:cry: ( big learning curve ) the first IP I have torn into.
So after removing heater ect. I start to remove injecter lines from head --- all the lines except one line (#3 had a rain cap on it) were rust welded to the nuts :roll: so I remove the lines from the injector --- struggle to line up tooth to mark --- remove hold down nuts and fuel lines ect. remove IP head -- I decide to remove stuck lines from head ( only had to straighten one some --so get stuck lines off and put them in some 30 min rust remover--- hours later still rust welded in place:twisted: Mean while I locate the larger o-ring right away-- but dont see the smaller one --- so tear into head to find small o-ring hmmmm --Oh there it is still in the housing -- lol -- put head back together. I drive 30 min into town to find o-rings (we are at our farm in rural Iowa not at our home in Florida). Go to Napa first -- no go-- then to big machine shop--- nope :roll: Third try I go to tractor dealer --yea they have the o-rings or at least they measure to specs.:wink: So its back with the booty -- I put rust welded lines back in the head -- and struggle to install head with lines attached:evil: Over an hour later i get the head on and the lines in the injectors:| I tidy thing up and get the wife to run the started -- without too much cranking we start to get fuel spitting out the not tight injector line and the engine starts to run -- I tell the wife to shut it off -- I tighten the injector lines and she hits the starter --hmmmmmmmmmmm sounds good -- dont see any fuel leaking:-D
I didnt run it hard but will tomarrow.
Thanks to all for the info and pictures

Mike PS Only fell off the truck once :razz: and one cut on the hand -- even with gloves on --lol

serial14

I still have all my injector lines off as I fix other things on my deuce. I have one injector line that has rust problems as well. I haven't been able to break the rust free yet either. I'm not looking forward to trying to put the line back on. I'll have to try rust remover.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found that's it's easier to get the compression fittings aligned if the injectors are loosened up a bit first. Don't force the threads, you should be able to get them started by hand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks