• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing oil gallery plug

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I'm in the middle of a turbo install and I'm trying to remove the oil gallery plug. It won't budge and I have rounded the edges trying to remove it. Any suggestions?? Tomorrow I'm going to try to heat the plug and then try to move it with a pipe wrench. If that won't work I guess I'll have to try to drill it and extract it with a easy out. Anybody got any suggestions or stories on how they succeded?

dmetalmiki

How did you strip that plug? what tool were you using? anywaze if you have a decent welder( machine and man!) weld a GOOD hex on there and remove it WHILE STILL HOT!! with a GOOD & good fitting wrench. AND BREAKER BAR>good luck. I did TWO that way!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had issues with the turbo oil return hole. The plug from the NA motor was at a weird angle and a PITA. I later learned that it is 13/16" square, same as a budd thimble. I'll be ready for the next un.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
Got it! I drilled a hole thru the center, inserted a jigsaw blade, cut it in 4 sections and then loosened it with a hammer and punch.
The turbo is now up and running. I noticed a big difference in low end torque improvement. It seems to top out and be a little more sluggish around 50-55 than before the timing adjustment. Oddly, it seems quieter with no muffler than before with the non turbo exhaust set up.
Overall, I'm glad I converted it.

Attachments