• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing surge brake system, but keeping parking brake?

hwcurtice

Is it possible? Or is it all or nothing?

Kinda thinking of what harleyhouse did, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?82301-Rebuilding-MY-m101a2-BY-harleyhouse&highlight= except keeping it as a utility trailer, not a camping trailer. Mostly going to modify the tongue to make it a little easier to tow. Going to keep my wheeled tongue jack, which is why I want to keep the parking brakes.

Might get lower profile tires as I don't seem to ever get anything of weight in there.

Oh, and easiest way to knock those 20ish tub bolts off?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and easiest way to knock those 20ish tub bolts off?

Easiest? Blue wrench, albeit not the safest or the least damaging but you did ask for easy. ;-)

Are you removing the tub itself and want to keep the parking brakes or keeping the tub and just removing the surge?

hwcurtice

I want to be able to get to everything to remove any rust and repaint the trailer. It'll still have the tub attached when I'm done. harleyhouse used an impact wrench, according to his thread, but that even seems extreme.

'Blue wrench'. Yeah, I'm hiring out any welding tasks.

I just like how harleyhouse took it apart to get to every surface to clean and paint. Might make it last a little longer.

I really want to be able to push it around, without connecting to my truck, which is why the wheeled tongue jack stays. And due to uneven parking surfaces, the parking brake is a need as well. And before someone gets on me, the wheels get blocked too.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The whole lunette/surge brake assembly will unbolt with 4 bolts. You can then add anything you like to the top. Another member welded a receiver hitch on there, so he could put a ball coupler or pintle coupler depending on what was needed.

John Galt

You can remove the hydraulic surge brake system and keep the parking brakes. I was actually going to do this on my build but decided to shave some more wight and ditch the brakes and drums.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the parking brakes are mechanical and actuated only from the handles.

As long as you keep your axle, and brakes on it, the parking brakes will work.

hwcurtice

The whole lunette/surge brake assembly will unbolt with 4 bolts. You can then add anything you like to the top. Another member welded a receiver hitch on there, so he could put a ball coupler or pintle coupler depending on what was needed.
That's what harleyhouse did, and is what I plan on doing. Just need the parts to get it going and get more details on what he did on the tongue itself.

KsM715

Are there really 20 some bolts on an a1 bed? I think my a2 has less then 10 and some of those are just clamps, not complete bolt thru's.

jdknech

i have both trailers ( A1 without serge brakes, and a A2 with brakes) i would be more then happy to trade you the one without for yours with brakes if you were closer... the ones with brakes are much much nicer to pull... just my 2cents

harleyhouse

Many bolts and clamps holding the tub to the frame. But taking it off to clean and paint made it much better.
Four bolts and the surge lunette assembly came off. Pull the brake lines too and leave the rest alone and the hand brakes work fine.
Weld on an adjustible channel in the tounge V face an get a ball coupler. This works great on my 101A2 and 116A2.

While you have the frame open add a rear 2"reciever for a bike rack.

I bought a Kawasaki cordless impact gun and used it to remove all the bolts on the trailer.
You may need to brreak some of the bolts loose with a cheater bar " lots of oval lock nuts on the trailer"
But they spin off fast with the impact gun.

My full build with more details.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...d-a-Military-trailer-to-build-a-family-hauler

Attachments

Last edited:

hwcurtice

Trying to source the four bolt channel piece.

For a hauler, why would I need a bike racK? This goes to the transfer station and picks up furniture the wife finds. I still haven't used it for what I bought it for, almost two years ago. Yeah, haul dirt....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Trying to source the four bolt channel piece.
Should be at tractor supply or any trailer parts place.

Try searching this:
[h=1]Trailer coupler adjustable hitch mount channel 4 hole[/h]
On a sight that rhymes with egay.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

On a sight that rhymes with egay.

I'm pretty sure it's okay to talk about eBay on SS. You just can't link to any auctions. For example, harley's post is probably just fine.

Now if you see my post deleted or edited, and harley gets banned, courtmartialed, and sent to the Russian front, you'll know I'm wrong! :mrgreen:

hwcurtice

In the picture marked 'DSC05118.JPG', is this showing the bolts and clamps holding the body to the frame?

Ordered the hitch parts today. Just need to get a few sawhorses and empty the trailer out to get started on this rebuild...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks