• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing the 4 bad 6TMF Batteries and replacing them with group 27

madcroc1

After I got my 5-Ton, I noticed all 4 of the 2009 batteries 6TMF were completely dead. I wasn't so happy about replacing them with new 6TMF batteries at about $325 each. I live in Florida so I figured that simple common Group 27 batteries would be the best. So over the last few days I swapped out the batteries and I welded up a bracket to accommodate 2 Group 27 batteries that work perfectly well. I got $95 from the scrap yard for the old 6TMF's and I bought 2 new Group 27 batteries for about $190 and I spent only about $35 on the brackets and the spray dip insulation. Cost $225 - $95 = $130 Total and a few hours..

Attached is a picture of before and after.

Attachments

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job madcroc, you did exactly the same thing I did when I found my 6tmfs were bad, you live in FL and my truck is in a heated shop all winter there is no need for 4 batteries based upon our needs!
KK

Vintage iron

Not a big fan of the 6mfs batteries. They are expensive for the performance of the battery. I am relocating my batteries to the box under the passengers side door on my M923. Should finish it tomorrow.

glepaco

Hello, I have a M1070 with 4 Deka 6TMF batteries, but because of my charging system that had a problem (the regulator was dysfunctional and gave around the 33volts), I have to replace all 4 expensive and great working batteries. The problem I have now is that they don`t have this size battery, where I`m located in Suriname. So if I replace these 4 batteries with other brands, it won`t fit in the battery box. So I bought two Powermaster 200amp instead of 4 Deka batteries 120amp@ to let it fit in the box. The M1070 has two systems: a 12 volt and a 24 system. Could anyone please advise if it would it be a problem to make this swap from 4 batteries to 2 batteries with the two systems of 12v and 24v?
20160623_094316.jpg20160630_123827.jpg20160623_094328.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I have a M1070 with 4 Deka 6TMF batteries, but because of my charging system that had a problem (the regulator was dysfunctional and gave around the 33volts), I have to replace all 4 expensive and great working batteries. The problem I have now is that they don`t have this size battery, where I`m located in Suriname. So if I replace these 4 batteries with other brands, it won`t fit in the battery box. So I bought two Powermaster 200amp instead of 4 Deka batteries 120amp@ to let it fit in the box. The M1070 has two systems: a 12 volt and a 24 system. Could anyone please advise if it would it be a problem to make this swap from 4 batteries to 2 batteries with the two systems of 12v and 24v?
What you want to do is no problem. Just make 100% sure the batteries are properly held down with no chance of the hold down bracket touching the cables/terminals.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
View attachment 631343View attachment 631341View attachment 631342
I replaced the batteries in BART (HET WRECKER) with two 8Ds (cat batteries), it is real simple, one 8D = two standard batteries, just hook up the 8DS as though you were hooking up the two BACK standard batteries, the only difference is that you will be installing TWO batteries instead of four.

Hope this helps.

TheShopWestchester

I noticed you didn't wire up the external jump port when replacing the 6's with G27? any reason or just don't need it...i have an 923a1 and only one of my 6's is bad, i live in NE and use the truck regularly and am reading up to see if its better/more cost effective to just replace the 4 6's with 2 G27 or just replace the one 6? Any help from anyone would be appreciated