• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing the bar behind the front seats

Dock Rocker

I really want to put in a set of reclining suspension seats but as you all know there is a big ole piece of square tube preventing this.

What are the cons for removing this support other than not being able to go back to the two man configuration?

Another option would be to remove and put in a new support colder to the floor that will still allow for a reclining seat.

Dock Rocker

It's as much a support for the seat back to make the single cab setup work as it is a support for the rockers.

Like Ohiommwv said none of the civi units have that support. My guess is because they didn't need to be changed back and fourth between a crew setup and a truck setup with interchangeable parts. It would be really easy to make a set of rocker panels to add strength back to that area. It would be less easy but that bar or a similar one could be fabricated and tig'd in to a lower position and retain that strength but loose the two door setup.

Dock Rocker

Not going to do any armor. It will rarely have the soft doors on it. I am building this to use around MIssissippi. If you don't have AC doors are not recommended in the summer.

TedG

In about 1995, AM General removed the B-Beam on H1's'. An H1 soft top frame assembly is much more robust than the hmmwv soft top frame thus it helps spreading any side loads. As stated, the steel rocker protection helps with the reinforcment of the rocker with the B-beam removed on an H1. If you do this to a hmmwv, then please add the B-pillar reinforcement kit/3 point seat belt bracket kit which beefs up the B-pillar for front impact loads.

If you have someone occupying the left rear seat, they will have very close to zero knee space when the drivers seat is back the depth of the B-beam. With bucket seats in the rear, there is even less knee room. The standard rear seat allows for more seat/knee room.

If you do not care about your hmmwv authentic look, then add the steel rocker protection skid plates. A bonus is that they wrap around the front outer cowl and help protect your legs/feet from the front tire smashing into the foot well when a ball joint fails or something worse.

Hope this helps.

Aurora

The previous owner of mine cut it out and now the b pillar has some movement when closing the doors. I'm trying to think of ways to fix it and still look good.

Dock Rocker

The previous owner of mine cut it out and now the b pillar has some movement when closing the doors. I'm trying to think of ways to fix it and still look good.

This is my primary concern not side impact. I can plate the rockers and add more strength then there is currently. The way it's set up now the crossbar is just going to poke out of the van aluminum side of the truck and a side impact. It's not going to do much good.

Making sure that the B pillar does what it's supposed to do in a rollover concerns me the most. If I keep at it I'm going to end up cutting it all out and putting a full cage in it or something silly like that.

You might consider the option of making the bar removable when required for extra seat travel but easily re-fitted when normal seat position is ok. I had the problem of some of my larger/taller friends who wanted to drive but could not easily fit in the truck due to the seat position being governed by the bar. I have made it so the bar can be removed quickly with a couple of quick release pins or if you prefer you can use bolts. I can go into more detail if the idea interests you.

Dock Rocker

You might consider the option of making the bar removable when required for extra seat travel but easily re-fitted when normal seat position is ok. I had the problem of some of my larger/taller friends who wanted to drive but could not easily fit in the truck due to the seat position being governed by the bar. I have made it so the bar can be removed quickly with a couple of quick release pins or if you prefer you can use bolts. I can go into more detail if the idea interests you.
That's a really good idea! Do you happen to have some pictures?

Jon0249

I'm 6'6" and really need the knee room up front, and the original seats suck. So...

I found a set of seats from a Razor UTV for $200. The Driver seat sat too high when I put it on top of the adjustable platform, so I took that out, leaving only the square box. Almost perfect height now. However, I still needed some leg room. So I trimmed the leading edge from the beam aft of the seat, literally cut out part of the beam across the width of the seat, then put my seat on a locking slider from a jeep Cherokee (narrowed to fit the Razor seat). I now have about 3" more legroom and a much more comfortable seat that holds me in in a turn. Feels better with the doors off in our Texas summers. Did not affect rear leg room at all.

jdmcm

Mine was gone when I bought mine, I have since added a slantback setup and supplemental armor doors. The bearing support and associated tubes tie everything together solid so don't worry about needing it if you end up going hardtop or armor route...I was able to move the drivers seat back about 6" and now the truck is downright comfy

Bowtie70SS

When I was in the military I HATED having to drive a HMMWV but I was in Commo so I had to drive one with a shelter and a 10kw generator trailer. I was so cramped up, I refuse to be uncomfortable in the one I own. If I have to add bracing back in I will but I cannot imagine it would make it that much weaker. If you compare a HMMWV to a Jeep I cannot imagine a side impact would go well in either vehicle.

Bowtie70SS

I have wanted to cut of the brace behind the drivers seat of a HMMWV since 1992. I always knew there was more room to be had. Today I did it. I do plan to box it and make sure the brace still has some substance. I cut approximately 2 inches off the brace, here are the pictures. At 6'6 my knees do not hit the dash,I plan to slot the bolt holes on the back to recline it a few degrees.

humvee4.jpghumvee3.jpghumvee2.jpghumvee1.jpg

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a factory kit for this. The reinforcement bar itself was P/N 6001702, and appears to be made of brass or a brass alloy. Way too heavy to be aluminum. I'm guessing the kit came with templates and hardware as well, but can't verify that. Here's some pics of the bar.B-Pillar bar b.jpgB-Pillar bar a.jpgB-Pillar bar c.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks