• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing the brake drum - Stuck???

ems4ty

Any good tips on removing the brake drums without having to pull the axles?

The TM said to remove the tire and then remove all the outer (smaller) nuts and washers. Then pry off the drum.

Sounds easy, but I couldn't get my drums to break loose, even after soaking in liquid wrench. Also, there's no place to "Pry" the drum off.

All I want to do is get access to the brake linings and check the wheel cylinders. I think I have one leaking because of some old saturation...

Thanks,

Tyler

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just pull the axles. Then you can do the seals too. It's fairly easy.

ems4ty

I didn't try to back off the shoes because they spun freely. Just couldn't get the drum to even budge from the studs. I didn't want to pull the axle because I've nothing but bad luck recently with this truck leaking all different fluids. Since the axles are not leaking right now, I didn't want to press my luck. Besides, I don't have replacement gaskets either, though I could cut new ones from a sheet, but haven't had much luck with that yet either. (The gasket for the air compressor to block mounting bracket was a pain in the neck...)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better off to pull it apart as a unit. You have bearings there that will need servicing. If you just want to check lining wear, you can check that through the inspection hole in the drum. Usually covered by a little metal plate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks