• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing the 'GL' painted numbers

toddbe

So has anybody found a good way to remove the numbers that GL paints on the side, hood, bumper, etc of their vehicles?

I'm not planning on striping her down and repainting this year, so . . . other options?

Attachments

DieselBob

Mine only had the event/item number on the hood. I used mineral spirits and it worked good. Didn't have any adverse effect on the paint. 2cents

ratfarmer

Thanks for the info guys on how to remove that paint pen!

I just picked up a truck last week and they wrote "NO BRAKES" all over the outside of my truck and "no breaks" on the dash. I'll leave the "no breaks" because it cracks me up! Hehe

Flyingvan911

"No breaks" because they work so hard. That pen is tough stuff. Ditto pn the brake cleaner. I also used some CRC Electronics cleaner. It cleans well but does mess up the CARC a little.

gungearz

Ditto... Keep the pen marks wet for a minute or so with brake cleaner then scrub the heck out of it. After a few times it will start to come all the way off but that wax pen they use will leave a slight wet look where the numbers used to be (from the oil pen). Especially if it was on there a long time. The only cure I came up with was just to touch it up with a quick shot of rustoleum olive drab paint.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use brake cleaner too with a Scotch Brite pad.

But if you are going to paint the bumpers, which really need it anyway after an auction and the way GL desecrates it, the best thing I have found for removing the stickers, duct tape, and paint stick markings is a Purdy brand cats paw carbide scraper. That thing just rips through the gunk in minutes and she is ready to paint. :beer:

135gmc

Painter's naptha thinner also works well - its second cousin to mineral spirits, except it is a little better solvent and evaporates faster.