• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing the tire from the wheel

MrArmyAnt

So I'm bobbing my deuce and finally got new wheels/tires on. Scrap yards won't take wheels here with tires on. I also have a place wanting the tires for their track. How do I separate the things? I've seen the video on youtube and have no massive pick thing. I've tried plasma cutting the ring to no avail as every time I go deep enough the tire catches fire and its still wedged in anyway (I took schrader valve out, no pressure). I also tried driving my 6k pound truck on it to break the bead, put a ramp on it to focus the force of the truck, etc. My next choice is to try and cut the **** tire itself off but that in it's own isn't an easy thing to do.

And ideas? Also no tire fires please :)

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire shop, some times there is no substitute for the right tools for the job.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pay someone or purchase the proper tools. Even with the right stuff it's a biatch.

ODdave

BIG ARMS + BIG HAMMER

I sometimes use a RR spike hammer for stubborn ones.

Also if you do not want to save the rims, use a large hammer to bend the snap ring down on the side of the notch starting at the split. go about 10-12 inches till you can see the ring starting to stick out. Use a couple of pry bars then pop the ring out.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have broken down many a military tire during my Army career and it never got any easier.

I started out using the mattock and beating the bead down after lubing it up good with Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Later me and a buddy made a slide hammer (we had seen one used at NTC) that made the job easier. Getting the bead broke is 90% of the job and then it is fairly easy to take off the ring if you have the correct tire irons. Note....a crowbar and big screwdriver are not the proper tools.

If you can set the tire on an empty rim it will help since the weight of the tire will help pull the bead down.

The longer the tire has been mounted the harder it will be (in most cases) to remove. We had to cut some tires off a set of WWII combat rims that Freightrain has......no amount of pounding on the tire with a mattock would losen it. This is especially true if the rim is badly rusted.

If you are going to scrap the rim you need to figure what your labor is worth......that is a lot of work for a few bucks worth of scrap metal.

Just my 2 cents worth.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, with no air in it, it is no danger. Airing them up is when you can get hurt. The thread I posted/linked on page one has all the dangers associated with them in great detail.

MrArmyAnt

I'm more likely to get killed from a coil spring screwing with suspension than I am a ring on a deflated tire. It's the air-pressure/tire combo that has the sudden release of energy. If you would like for me to do the physics behind calculations behind it, I'd be happy to do so. But no I wouldn't air the things up even if I had a cage.

Side note are there any fun thinks to do with these 10 valves I now have?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well its either wheels out or I have to pay to dispose of the bastards.
Will the scrapper take the tires if you give them the metal?

By the time you figure your labor verses what you would get for the scrap rims that might be your best bet.

I don't know about OK but it's too dam hot to break down tires by hand in Alabama.

Sometimes you are just better off sucking it up and paying the money.

MrArmyAnt

They wont take them with tires when I called... Might sneak them i the load anyhow if it weren't 10 i'm sure they wouldn't care.

And again 25 to fix a flat. Awesome. I'm not fixing a flat I'm trying to get rid of the 10 tires blocking my garage from being used :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks