• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

removing vavle covers: what else to do?

kapnklug

So I'm finally getting around to replacing my leaky valve cover gaskets, which are allowing oil to leak all over the exhaust manifolds and making alot of stinky smoke. It's going to be a real pain removing the intake manifold and injector lines, so I want to do any other maintainance while I'm in there.
I can't find anything in the TM's about adjusting the valves; do the rocker arms need periodic adjustment like on a gas motor? How does that work? And is there anything else I should do while I've got it taken apart?

ralbelt

I did cover gaskets, intake gaskets, new intake [gimpyrob had some for sale] only cuz they brand new and looks good, new thermostat and cross over pipe gaskets. Blast the covers and paint them black, wire wheel and polish crossover pipe and clear coat as well as clearcoat the intake.
The easiest way to get the lower injector pipes off the pump is with a crows foot of appropriate size and an extension about 6 or 8 In. IIRC.

91W350

Make sure somebody before you has not gone "Gorilla" on the valve covers and over tighten the nuts/bolts. Some guys think tighter will squeeze the gasket and stop the leak. What they do is bend the rails on the cover in the area of the bolts. On a small/big block Chevy, they are easy, flip the cover upside down and tap the low spots flat. On a 6.2 they have a stiffening ridge that makes them tougher to straighten out. Just be sure to use a straight edge or look down the flats to make sure they are still good. Otherwise, you just pinch the gasket where the bolts are and the rest is loose. Glen

stump

You can leave the lines on the pump just takes alitle fenes. You can use gaskets but rtv works well. I would change the oil sending unit easy to get to and cheap insurance. Like the other post also change crossover tube gaskets and thermostat. Clean the glow plug conectors and other sending units with break cleaner and have fun. Could be a good time to replace the balancer seal and put a sleave on the balancer if it is also leaking.