• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Renting the Deuce

JimmyThompson

I was approached by a production company asking if I would consider renting them my M109a3 for a very popular television show. What would y'all suggest is "the going rate"?

Pugsley

Out of curiosity I wonder what it is as well. I am sure it varies too depending if it gets driven in a scene or is just backdrop.

ShearerLegal

Years ago I was contacted by a production company in California about renting my M543A2 for the movie "Saving Jessica Lynch." They were very fast talking and persistent. They wanted to know if they could paint the wrecker. I said they could paint it pink as long as they paid to paint it back the way it was. I also said they would be responsible for any damages and any personal injuries. They didn't want to pay much. Essentially they wanted to use it for free and expected me to agree because of the novelty of it being used in a movie. Everything was a go until I typed up a contract and faxed it to them. Never heard from them again.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years ago I was contacted by a production company in California about renting my M543A2 for the movie "Saving Jessica Lynch." They were very fast talking and persistent. They wanted to know if they could paint the wrecker. I said they could paint it pink as long as they paid to paint it back the way it was. I also said they would be responsible for any damages and any personal injuries. They didn't want to pay much. Essentially they wanted to use it for free and expected me to agree because of the novelty of it being used in a movie. Everything was a go until I typed up a contract and faxed it to them. Never heard from them again.
That's the movie I rented to. You lost out on BIG $$$. They ran over on the schedule and they had my truck (deuce) for WEEKS. I made a down payment on a house with the money I made on Saving Jessica Lynch. Truck came back a little worse for wear (they rammed a school bus head on with it at 30 mph). Dented the bumper a little.

Woodsplinter

Has anybody ever rented their MV for things OTHER than movies? Like a backdrop for photos for a wedding or some other event. A woman once asked me if I would chauffeur a bunch of her girlfriends around in the back of the deuce to go bar hopping- [insert appropriate fantasy here]. I said no- too many ways for that to go sideways, and Murphy is always kicking my backside.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's no way I would let a movie company rent my personal trucks without me being the driver and present at all times. I've just heard too many horror stories of what they do with the trucks (like ramming a school bus at 30 mph).

Sounds like NDT came out pretty well and made enough money to completely replace the truck if needed but most of the time that's not the case. Usually they are very demanding and don't pay very much.

Just don't let the thoughts of fame cloud your judgement and let them trash your truck for very little money.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My M927A2 had been picked to be in Fast and Furious 7 but at the last minute they cancelled. I was going to get 300 a day plus 100 per day per diem, plus 300 for fuel to drive it from here to Atlanta and back. That was for static display only.
Under no circumstances allow anyone else to drive it. Most film productions around Atlanta are non-union so they can't tell you a union hand has to drive the truck. Get a contract that spells out exactly what they will do with the truck, if it will be static or driven and states that you or your designated driver will be the only one to drive it (the exception might be if one of the featured big names would be driving it). Make sure they pay fuel or transport and cover any damage to the vehicle inflicted by anyone other than yourself. If it takes more than one day make sure they cover your lodging and give you per diem.
The film industry is big and growing every day in GA. According to one of the trade websites there are 30 movies or series in line to be filmed in GA between now and Christmas. I've had background extra parts in two major productions in the last month and will prob be doing some more next month if they need my profile. Hollyweird has priced itself out of a lot of movie productions and the southern states (GA, LA, NC) are taking up the slack. I have my own production logistics company here in Gadsden and I'm trying to get some overflow from other states. You can have a lot of fun and they feed you good. Just remember there is a lot of "hurry up and wait" with movie production. If you are ex-military you are well suited for movie production.

WeBeJeepin

My deuce #1 was in the new James Brown movie 'Get On Up' last December. They paid me $750 for one day of shooting in a static display but it was 120 miles from my house. I wanted to go deer hunting that day so I dropped it off the day before and gave them permission to move it around on the set. Only problem was they left the lights on and the batteries were dead when I went to pick it up.

Bill W

I rented myself and my deuce out twice for a Animal Planet show called King of the jungle I & II. I was there for 4 days each filming ( one of the days was a sunday which they did not work but paid me to stay ) and put me up in a hotel for the time I was there, I made $3000.00 total on both. Price can depend on who recruits you as there are middle men who try and get a piece of your take ( they want to charge the prodution company $450 a day but only pay you $200 day ) I myself was contacted directly by the prodution company.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M927A2 had been picked to be in Fast and Furious 7 but at the last minute they cancelled. I was going to get 300 a day plus 100 per day per diem, plus 300 for fuel to drive it from here to Atlanta and back. That was for static display only.
Under no circumstances allow anyone else to drive it. Most film productions around Atlanta are non-union so they can't tell you a union hand has to drive the truck. Get a contract that spells out exactly what they will do with the truck, if it will be static or driven and states that you or your designated driver will be the only one to drive it (the exception might be if one of the featured big names would be driving it). Make sure they pay fuel or transport and cover any damage to the vehicle inflicted by anyone other than yourself. If it takes more than one day make sure they cover your lodging and give you per diem.
The film industry is big and growing every day in GA. According to one of the trade websites there are 30 movies or series in line to be filmed in GA between now and Christmas. I've had background extra parts in two major productions in the last month and will prob be doing some more next month if they need my profile. Hollyweird has priced itself out of a lot of movie productions and the southern states (GA, LA, NC) are taking up the slack. I have my own production logistics company here in Gadsden and I'm trying to get some overflow from other states. You can have a lot of fun and they feed you good. Just remember there is a lot of "hurry up and wait" with movie production. If you are ex-military you are well suited for movie production.
It's not so much hollyweird priced themselves out, as many states ( michigan included ) are paying them to film there.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Wow to get a chance at "THAT ZOMBIE SHOW" would make my day as well as my kids day. I'd probably let my pre-teen take the wheel for that one; she loves that show as do the rest of us. For that show you can pass on that I rent cheap. I would also suggest they come film at the GA Rally, plenty of zombies around there in the mornings.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's the movie I rented to. You lost out on BIG $$$. They ran over on the schedule and they had my truck (deuce) for WEEKS. I made a down payment on a house with the money I made on Saving Jessica Lynch. Truck came back a little worse for wear (they rammed a school bus head on with it at 30 mph). Dented the bumper a little.
I have a few spare bumpers here.

Where do I sign up?