• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

REO factory pics

nchittendon

A member on a facebook page dropped some history on us the other day. When he was a teenager, he worked at the REO plant in Michigan when they were building deuces. He posted up a ton of pictures that were just awesome.....

Attachments

nchittendon

Some more pics of experimental things. A lot of the pics were "Test" prototypes. Look closely, a lot of the items pictured didn't make it on our trucks. Some were built for foreign governments too.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting! Looks like mid 50's production of export trucks, notice the non-24 volt components. Cab drop looks like a girl? Kinda crude assembly line, notice the wooden work platforms and the roller and slat conveyors.

Barrman

Yes, thanks for posting.

That yard full full of trucks not finished means things haven't changed to me. The BAE factory that used to make FMTV trucks is just 60 miles or so away. Some of their former employees now work at my school. They always seem to end up in my class. I guess the 383 green paint on a few vehicles and 3 engine cans must pull them in.

Anyway, they always get to telling stories. Mostly about how a truck never made it out of the factory completed. Trucks "assembled" was what the count for the contract was concerned with. Trucks completed and accepted was a different category. So management wanted trucks out the door. Several crews then went from truck to truck in the huge facility grounds to finish them out for acceptance. I have driven by there on I-10 and seen hundreds of trucks outside.

I noticed the antiquated REO facility as well. I think that was pretty much the norm then. Do a search for pictures of the old South Bend Studebaker plant or the Packard plant. I don't see how anyone could design the buildings like they did and think efficiency of production would happen. Just big hodgepodge.

nchittendon

It was a neat interaction on the page. The gentleman stated that he only took the pictures, he didn't know anything about the trucks really. Once he started posting up these pics and guys started throwing out stats and information he was excited to learn about the trucks themselves.

It was an interesting, and educational couple of days that he was posting. It was truly awesome.

tommys2patrick

Interesting that they were producing civilian "reo's" on the same line at same time. It kinda looked like some of the civilian parts made it on to the deuces just to get them out the door.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Interesting that they were producing civilian "reo's" on the same line at same time. It kinda looked like some of the civilian parts made it on to the deuces just to get them out the door.
The US military would not accept a vehicle that wasn't to "spec". The vehicles you see that don't have the military turn signals or waterproof wiring are either export models for foreign militaries or what I think is the rare M44 series truck that was briefly marketed to civilian companies who needed such a truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks