• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reo from Brazilian Mariners

caju

Hi to all, Im new here so a few words. Im from Brasil and on a process of buying a M35A2C, that was built in 1965, and was revamped in 1992 in US for the brazilian mariners. At this process she got a fifth gear and the Cummins engine, so I should say that's when she got the C.
Well on the presentation of this beast. We had a problem when we were going to climb a pretty angled wall and it seems like the traction wasn't working on the front or it wasn't engaged. so he did a few movements and nothing. So he tried on reverse and apparently it went on and manage to climbe it. When we went back and inspected bellow he told me it would be a lack of adjustment on a part that for me I would descrie as the fork for the reduction on the gears (lower gear) that could be activated fwd or reverse (does it make sence? excuse my english anyway).
Does the traction works with all the 5 gears or just the first and reverse as was described to me? Any help with this is? a simple solution or a major one?
Also the 5 gear is on right the side of the 4 and not oposite (in front) to it. is this normal?
Thanks a lot for any help, and my Avatar is a Engesa EE25 brazilan made for the curious.....

kc5mzd

So did you find out if it has an air switch to engage the front axle?
All my trucks have the air transfer case. The front axle only engages when you flip a switch and stays engaged until you turn it off. The transfer case operates separately from the transmission and doesn't care what gear you have it in.

From what I hear the other (Sprague) type can have problems. I think it is always engaged into 6X6 (kind of). I think it has gears that decide how much traction you need in the front axle or something like that.

waayfast

Welcome to the site!! As soon as the back axles start to spin, the sprague clutch kicks in and the steer axle begins to pull. Primative but works for most applications but kinda weird on slick roads-has a mind of it's own so to speak.With the air shift style YOU have control when it drives the steer. OH MAN!!! Cool truck in the avatar pic!! More pics and info please!!! I already want one--or two--or---
Jim

caju

yeap its the sprague one, I don~t think the air shift came to Brazil,
what about the gears do you know what is the right patern? if there is one
Man you guys have heps toys around you. Im checking to see if I can import one from us, it need to be more than 30 years old, but they would get here for a resanable price I think with all the bells and wisthles..
tke a look at this pick from the ee25 and check the back axle thats right a single axle with a tranfer to 8 whell gears inside instead of chain
Thanks

Attachments

AZDeuce

caju:

If there is no air shift lever hanging beneath the instrument gauges to engage the front axle this means you have the sprague unit. This is a very reliable unit, if kept adjusted properly. When under the truck, look between the transmission, and transfercase, you will see a rod that is adjustable that connects the transmission/transfer to each other. it usually has a piece of rubber over it, to keep the crud off of it.

Raise the front left tire off of the ground, and support the truck with a proper jackstand, chock the rear wheels so the truck can't roll. Get a helper, put them in the truck. With the parking brake OFF, and the transmission in neutral, you should be able to rotate the front left tire in both directions.

Have your helper put the truck in first gear and let out the clutch - the engine is NOT running! - now rotate the tire it should go forward, but not backward. Put the truck in reverse, and the tire should rotate backward but not forward. If your truck passes this test, the sprague is working properly.

If it does not pass this test, you will have to adjust the rod between the transmission and transfercase to get it to work correctly. If that doesn't work, check that the rod hasn't come apart, as it's held together by a snap ring, and I had one let go on me, and it screwed up (broke) my transfercase.

hope this was helpful.