• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repaint M1070 HET

johnsnow1

I'm repainting a M1070 HET with Dupont vehicle paint. Any body ever have issues with paint bonding?? I'm having a terrible time with "fish eye" !! Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Adding this as a heavy recovery vehicle to our snow fleet.

fnpurist

Kinda looks like latex on top of and oil based paint. I'm not familiar with DuPont but if its oil based you will need to put an oil based primer on it first

johnsnow1

The DuPont is a regular Enamal pro grade automotive finish. I've tested all the normal auto paint prep steps and am not having any luck.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's something in the original surface causing that fisheye, it wasn't cleaned thoroughly enough in that spot. Considering the amount of grease & silicone-based products used on these trucks, and how these products love to jump onto someone's hands and then get smeared all over the truck afterwards, I certainly wouldn't discount some residual left in the original finish you are overcoating. And the original CARC loves to soak up petroleum- and silicone-based products.

From your photos, it looks like the original CARC coating was even orange-peeling in this area. I'd sand this entire affected area down pretty good, maybe even down to original primer underneath that orange-peeled CARC, treat it with good cleanser to remove petroleum-based products, and recoat according to the paint's directions. The paint shop you got that DuPont from should have something that would do the trick for you.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Will a steam cleaner get the oil out of the carc, also how do you get the GL paint stick markings removed without removing the carc.

m816Buch

wash with super clean, rinse .....solvent clean .....sand .....wash again with super clean .....solvent clean.....prime or paint, unless you do any metal repair or have sand throughs.....to remove marker I use lacquer thinner on a rag followed quickly by a rag with water

johnsnow1

The issue is the entire truck is having fish eye problems,not just that one spot. Once it started to occur I tested areas all over the truck.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue is the entire truck is having fish eye problems,not just that one spot. Once it started to occur I tested areas all over the truck.
I hate to say it, but you'll probably need to sand down the entire body area and clean it thoroughly before repainting. Something causing the fisheyes has settled into the low spots (valleys) of the CARC...you've undoubtedly noticed how rough the CARC application is, it is obvious in your photos. Take a sanding block and some wet-and-dry sanding paper (to keep the dust down, that CARC is nasty stuff) along with a water hose, and smooth out the body areas. Then use a pressure washer with good degreaser to thoroughly wash down the entire vehicle, and pressure-wash off the residue. After allowing to dry thoroughly, probably a couple of days, try your DuPont again. You may even want to wipe down the body area with a good prep solution recommended by the paint vendor prior to painting.

I like to use the Purple Power degreaser from WalMart and other auto parts stores...it breaks down oil, grease, and other residues and works well with pressure-washing. YMMV.

I've also found that enamel is typically the most finicky paint type to apply...yes, lacquers are "hot" and will eat through lesser paints below them, but urethanes and acrylic-based paints I've found to be pretty forgiving for the most part.

And no doubt you've got to compensate for humidity; I take it you've got a moisture trap inline as well as another mounted to your spray gun?

johnsnow1

Spoke to my paint supplier this morning and they suggested sealer/primer, which was my thoughts all along. Have a driver going to pick it up now and will update my results.

Thanks

m816Buch

Spoke to my paint supplier this morning and they suggested sealer/primer, which was my thoughts all along. Have a driver going to pick it up now and will update my results.

Thanks
Sealer is not a cure-all.....you still need to clean the vehicle with a strong soap.....soap and water is the only thing that will remover silicones......solvent cleaners wont remove the silicones.....sometimes you can put sealer on and the silicones will seep thru.....if you paint it again you can still have the same problem again, the you will really be poed.....i do this work for a living

10Lugger

Painting old service bodies I clean with spray Mr. Clean and use Delfleet Essential from PPG Always have superior coverage and the paint holds up very well in commercial use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks