• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repair/maintenance Assistance needed OR

rolling18

hands on instruction (paid) within reason...

replacing front seals and boots.
how much would it cost me to have someone to show me how?

I can travel within in Oregon or Washington or someone can come to my place
I would like to do this on a weekend sometime soon and have most of the tools and parts except the wheel nut socket

Thanks!
Marc

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved thread and changed title(exclamations are reserved for real time emergencies).

rolling18

I will keep studying it and also take a look at the other one and my offer still stands it would take a lot last time with someone who has done this before killing me

brianp454

Marc

Hey we met at the Chehalis event last summer. I'm the guy with the other desert tan truck similar to yours. When you arrived I asked about the KVM lockouts.

I helped my buddy do all three of his axles with the whole brake system at the same time. Now we have my truck apart and are doing the front (replaced the rear seals over last Summer). I was shocked on my truck to find how bad a shape it was in. I find that the time spent doing teardown, cleaning, etc. can really drag on. Anyone can do a wham bam TY MAAM, but another to do it right and have confidence that it will be in good shape and safe for a long time to come. I have all of the tools needed and 6 extra wheel cylinder rebuild kits. I'll PM with my number.

-Brian

rolling18

Brian great!
yes i remember.. was great meeting you!
and yes thats why i want to do the work to learn as im sure i will need to in the future and help others as well!

firedog104

Just did mine recently, wasn't bad at all. I've done bearings/seals several times on older pickups, this is no different, just bigger. Prepare LOTS of grease rags if you want to clean things up good, along with disposable latex gloves. I didn't have the 8 sided socket, but I could see someone had used a cold chisel to loosen/tighten the nuts. Not the best way to do it, but since I didn't have the wrench I followed their lead (let the flaming begin). The nuts are easy to access after the fact to double check the torque when i get the wrench.
Also, since I didn't have a large enough gear puller and didn't want to buy an exhaust pipe flange tool and slide hammer, I just used a 6 foot long 3/4 " pipe from the other side. Worked great and didn't cost anything. I also used about 1.5 gallons of grease to fill the knuckles real well. Probably overkill but my shafts aren't the u-joint type so I figure more is better as long as it isn't splooging out around the rubber boots.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks