• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repair or replace rear curtain?

RogerThat!

The rear curtain of my M1097R1 is all opaqued up and also has some holes. Rather than replace the whole curtain, is it possible (worth it) to replace the plastic? I think it was originally heat sealed on, but could a new piece be glued on? I'm not against getting a new one. But before did, I figured I would explore options.

Thanks

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you do anything you should consider some of the compounds that can be used to polish the plastic. Boat shops that make canvas boat tops should be able to point you in the right direction. If that doesn't work I would go to a boat shop to have them replace the plastic or the entire unit

Last edited:

RogerThat!

I have decided to fix it. I ordered the plastic sheeting from Sailrite. I have an industrial sewing machine that I use for leatherwork. The window may not be the exact size and appearance as the stock one. But it will be solid and clear and last. I will be able to fix all the little problems it has (like seams where the thread rotted out) at the same time. Total to fix: about 80 bucks. I can spend the rest somewhere else. I'm sure I will find something...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have decided to fix it. I ordered the plastic sheeting from Sailrite. I have an industrial sewing machine that I use for leatherwork. The window may not be the exact size and appearance as the stock one. But it will be solid and clear and last. I will be able to fix all the little problems it has (like seams where the thread rotted out) at the same time. Total to fix: about 80 bucks. I can spend the rest somewhere else. I'm sure I will find something...
Neat. Having an industrial sewing machine definitely gives you more options than most of us!
And yeah, I'm sure you can find somewhere to spend money on your green / tan toys. :cool:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always consider sewing in with a large zipper to allow opening up on hot days

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you were going to have a zipper window, would you have one that zipped completely out or one that partially unzipped and flopped open like the door windows?
Attached at the top to keep rain out and zippered at the sides and bottom with cloth bits, then overlie the zipper to keep rain out.

Add ties to allow rolling up and securing. Alternatively, add snaps.

Last edited:

INFChief

Why won’t it be the exact same size? Is it because the material you got wasn’t big enough - or are you going bigger?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've replaced a few the same way, using double polished marine vinyl. Made them larger, so that one can actually see out the window. Enables a rear view mirror inside too, if you don't have anything else in the way. Still hard to see nearby behind you, because of the height of the tailgate and bed, but better than nothing. I used a suction cup marine mirror. It worked OK, though the silicone kept losing its grip and let the mirror slide down. A better quality one would likely solve it.

RogerThat!

Why won’t it be the exact same size? Is it because the material you got wasn’t big enough - or are you going bigger?
I went bigger. First, because it needed it. Window just too small. Second, because where the old window material was bonded to the fabric wasn't malleable. So it had to go, even though I was able to peel it all apart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks