• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repair or replace this transfer case?

reaper556

Today I go out with plans to drain and replace the fluid in the trans and t-case on a 1008 I have been nursing back to health and I got a nasty surprise from the t-case when I pulled the drain plug. It was empty so I scratch my head and proceed to pump in some ATF only to have it come right back out the bottom :cry: I have crawled around under this truck for a while now and never noticed a quarter sized hole in the bottom of the front half of the case.001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

My question is foremost what could have caused this and if I can get replacement front half case for around $75 or so would that be a viable option to repair this T-case?

86m1028

Looks like it hit something solid.
I would replace the whole t-case.
Unless that's forklift damage, I'm betting it was driven without fluid (possible internal damage).

Last edited:

MasterSweeper

Today I go out with plans to drain and replace the fluid in the trans and t-case on a 1008 I have been nursing back to health and I got a nasty surprise from the t-case when I pulled the drain plug. It was empty so I scratch my head and proceed to pump in some ATF only to have it come right back out the bottom :cry: I have crawled around under this truck for a while now and never noticed a quarter sized hole in the bottom of the front half of the case.View attachment 580856View attachment 580857View attachment 580858

My question is foremost what could have caused this and if I can get replacement front half case for around $75 or so would that be a viable option to repair this T-case?
To bad your kind of far away, I have a NP 208 you can have cheap,,,

cucvrus

It looks like the front 1/2 of the case. Am I correct? I say it got broken by some Knuckle Head with a loader. Check the drain plug inside is a magnet. Is the magnet free of shrapnel? Be careful and check. Get back to me I have several parts transfer cases. and good transfer cases. Let me know.

reaper556

It looks like the front 1/2 of the case. Am I correct? I say it got broken by some Knuckle Head with a loader. Check the drain plug inside is a magnet. Is the magnet free of shrapnel? Be careful and check. Get back to me I have several parts transfer cases. and good transfer cases. Let me know.
Its actually on the rear half of the case. I peeked at the magnet and it had that metal fur as I would call it, not really big pieces of metal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks