• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repaired front axle leak Im tired.

Brock Steel

Well I started the repair on my wifes truck today. Had to stop at harbor freight for some tools, Mine are a little small for this job. My friend Ed who is Heavy diesel Mechanic came over to help with the repair. After what seem like a life time of crude gluded to the axle housing we got the front end off. We found a little oil in the boot but not to much, no water. the axle looked new, No unusual wear just a lot of cleaning. The boot was a little trouble but Ed suggested removing the clamp then installing the boot. After that it when together fine. Thanks for the help in answering many of my questions and pointing me in the right directiion.

Brock.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good, congrats! After using zipperless boots, I'll never go back to the zipper design. I just did boots and seals on one of BBFs deuces. He had brought me zipper boots to put on and when he picked up his truck, they went right back with him. I now have the latest and greatest boots from ODI. These are silicone and should last a decade if I don't rip them. Only weird thing is they are yellow!

Brock Steel

The zipper boot are the only ones my local parts dealer had. The last over haul tag date on the axle was 1982, I figure the zipper ones lasted 27 years I shouldn't have to do them again for another 27. It took me around 5 hours to do both. The cleaning was the most time consuming part. Pressure washer is a must do before disassembly.

littlebob

I think the zipper ones are desgined to get one back in service quicker. If you have the time. I would do the 1PC from ODiron(thats what I did). I orginally bought a zipper one from Saturn and then realized, I needed two. I bought the two one piece and now I'm going to sell barter or trade w/someone that wants the zippered one

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also note there are a few different zipper boots. One I just came across had huge zipper teeth, hardly able to clamp against the knuckle. Attached is a pic of the silicone boot.

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sure is purty boot ya got there....

I also went to one piece boots when putting all new seals in the M108. Managed to drop a steering knuckle on the shoe... OUCH. They are the rubber/black ones from saturn. M35 is due for seals and boots, so it will get the newer yeller boots.

randyscycle

Definitely do the one-piece boots. You'll thank yourself later when you crawl underneath and they are still there and still clamped into place. Even after a long off-road session.

When installing them be sure the surface is good and dry and clean where they clamp, and that you use new clamps. That seems to make all the difference. Even slightly distorted clamps or a tiny bit of grease or oil and they will want to come off.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
O, and for real fun, put some RTV on them, under where the clamps go. Greasy, slimy hard to hold BOOGER! Figured it couldn't hurt, and I know the front end is water tight now. Zipper boots seem to leak a little no matter what.

scooter01922

Can't seem to find those nifty yellow boots on the ODI site. Not yet listed or ???? Need to do the boots on the truck sooner or later and those seem like the option that will need the least attention further down the road.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if they are replacing the black rubber ones or if they are an option. I'll have to ask the boss!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The silicone boots are an option. He forgot to list them in the store. Look for them to be listed sometime Monday. Sorry, I'm clueless on price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks