• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replace M939 Front Axle Seals and Boots DIY

brazengoat06

Im sure there is a thread out there but i cant seem to locate it. At present my main question is the size of the hub bearing retainer nut?

Im working on a 84 M923. What started out as a boot replacement turned into a seal job due to oil in the knuckle. Thanks

brazengoat06

Thanks for correcting me on the 8 point sockets. I had to correct my order.

armynurse, Im looking for someone to go wheeling with in the near future once all this rain clears out and my leaks are fixed. If you would have any interest let me know. Don't wanna risk getting stuck by myself with nobody else big enough to pull me out ha.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for correcting me on the 8 point sockets. I had to correct my order.

armynurse, Im looking for someone to go wheeling with in the near future once all this rain clears out and my leaks are fixed. If you would have any interest let me know. Don't wanna risk getting stuck by myself with nobody else big enough to pull me out ha.
no problem as they come in 6 and 8 pt.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's easier than an A2, I can tell you that much...I just replaced all 4 seals in my M931A2 driver's side hub...the 2 air seals for CTIS are a PITA to get seated properly.

brazengoat06

How does one remove the encased axle seal? Tech manual isn't clear on this final step. I've tried seal puller, slide hammer, pry bar, etc. Thanks for suggestions.

Ps. Still looking for grease suggestions.

brazengoat06

Thanks. Also to clarify what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to remove the encased seal assembly from the axle housing and not the seal from the seal housing. Thanks for any tips.

Ford Mechanic

Thanks. Also to clarify what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to remove the encased seal assembly from the axle housing and not the seal from the seal housing. Thanks for any tips.
The one in the retainer in the end of the axle tube? I used a big slide hammer, but don't use the fingers to pull it out. Use the block the 2 fingers attach to instead. You'll have to put it through the seal and then thread it on the slide hammer. It takes some force to knock it out.

I have heard of folks pulling both sides down to that point and using a long piece of pipe inserted from the other side to knock it out.

brazengoat06

ok im 90% complete on one side but i cant seem to get the boot back on. my trouble is the clamp ring the holds it to the knuckle. its the most frustrating thing! how do you get the boot back on the knuckle?!

Ford Mechanic

Yeah its a pain in the butt, the last one I did I ended up sewing the boot to the inner clamp with 5lb fishing line. And no it doesn't leak. One other thing I've done is to clean the axle tube real good and rtv the boot to the axle tube and then give it a day to set. You must use the grey high torque rtv this way, the other stuff isn't strong enough.

brazengoat06

Ok what i did was i took the ring off and pushed the boot all the way on passed the groove which would be towards the knuckle. then i installed the ring just barely threading the bolt. next i painstakingly pryed and massaged the boot back towards the groove. i did find a helper at one point in this procedure to turn the steering wheel back and forth as i worked the boot back. anyways i got it in one try but it took about an hours time. Also hoping there are no holes in the boot now, but they seem pretty tough so i doubt it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks