• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement access doors for MEP-803a

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are these access door panels available for purchase separately? How about just the twisting lock assemblies? The part I am looking for is the right hand door (if you are standing at the operator panel). Just got another 803a in, and the upper lock assembly was broken in transit by the carrier, so I am filing a claim.

Thanks for your help.

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some body hardware for an 803a. I definitely have spare twist lock assemblies.

You can PM me if you are still in need

zarathustra

Guyfang

Staff member
WCIGUY,

I will break this down for you, and others will also learn. If you know this already, then I apologize. But not everyone understands this stuff, and knowing a little bit about the codes in the book can help you find parts easier. The Door you want is listed in TM 9-6115-642-24P, on page, (PDF Reader page number) 24. Its listed in Figure figure #5, item number 24. I have printed out part of the listing from that page below.

You see the Item number then the SMR Code. What is the SMR Code? Its means Source Maintenance Recoverability code. Maintenance and recoverability are not important in this problem. But Source is. At the front of the manual is a listing of the Source code. The first two letters of the code are the Source code. If you turn back to the SMR code explanation you will see listed next to XD, Item is not stocked. Order an "XD"-coded item through normal supply channels using the CAGEC and part number given, if no NSN is available.

That means, the military did not stock this item. You could order it, but the chances of getting one were slim. Normally, CECOM would wait until they had received 10-20 requests for such a part, before they would have a few doors made. But none were kept in supply. So you are not going to find a new door someplace. In fact, about the only source of a part that was listed with the first letter in the SMR code of X, was cannibalization. If someone is parting out a uneconomically repairable gen set, you might get lucky.

The reason I listed item 31 was to show you a SMR code for stocked items. The parts that have an SMR code of PA, were stocked in the supply system, and the availability is much higher. These parts can be found online or from the manufacturer.

Item Number SMR Code FSCM Part Number Description
24 XDOZZ 30554 88-20077 DOOR, LEFT SIDE

31 PAOZZ 96906 MS51481-02 SCREW,MACHINE

Last edited:

bigbe5678

Thank you GUYFANG I don't have a Gen. but I read all your posts. You have helped a great many people on this site... Its guys like you that makes this hobby (addiction) so enjoyable. Thanks again Mike

NormB

While doing MIA-POW recovery missions in Cambodia circa '92-'93 several small panels magically flew off a blackhawk or two. One of the guys the AVN BDE sent was an A&P mechanic whose skills working scrap aluminum (brought along in sheets for such needs) were craftsmanship on the level of Japanese fitted knick-knack boxes coated with the oil of ki urushi. Magical.

Back in high school (late middle ages... 1970s) you could actually take metal shop. Lincoln tech - among others - took over this legendary and traditional function of public schools not too many years ago but there are many people who know how to fabricate things like doors and panels with the right materials and tools.

FINDING them outside of HVAC and body shops might be a chore. Someone may come along shortly and make some suggestions if they don't have the parts themselves.

Good luck.

coxju04

Man I was hoping to get lucky!!! I need the right side door. I'm going to take it off and try to work it back in to shape. It got messed up in shipping. Sometimes I ready hate those guys...

NATCAD

Hello,

I have 3 803a with a couple missing pannels, depending on which units are good runners, I may part one out, if they are all good, I plan to make some panels, using aluminum and a break for window capping on your home. Can anyone confirm which gauge of aluminum I should make these out of

dav5

A brake that is used for window capping might be too light for the gauge of aluminum for the doors. I have a finger brake that would do it but unfortunately no time to use it.

Persh

Do you still have that access door?

I am new to this forum and I just took delivery of a 2007 MEP-803a today. The shipping company damaged the output terminal door and the long narrow piece just below that. Any ideas on where to find these parts? The way I see it, unless I build an enclosure for the unit, it is virtually unusable. Rain and high voltage electrical typically don't mix well.

Any help would be much appreciated! 20171212_115833.jpg

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you at least filed a damage claim. Your freight always carries a minimum liability (based on weight for things like this). I got Old Dominion to cough up $1750 on a damaged 803A (they dented up the top sheet metal over the radiator). That was the cost to replace the panel... (which did not occur).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks