• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacement door handle trips

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any interest in replacement door handle trips made from cast bronze with the thin area reinforced? These would work with either the pull-up or pull-down handles and would be a direct replacement for the cheap cast aluminum trips that always break. Likely cost would be $75 each but that would come down if enough people are interested.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why bronze? I was thinking of making some too, but was just going to use CNC machined billet aluminum or steel, for probably roughly the same price. I'm curious if your way would be better or not.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a data point for comparison, I purchased a NOS passenger door handle with keys from a reputable SS vendor for about $210. This was over $100 less than auction site prices at that time. A "sub $100" price tag would be much more reasonable and I am now subscribed.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the why bronze question, it is a matter of cost. It is strong enough for this application and significantly cheaper than a machined part. I had my drivers side trip machined out of 4140 and I can have the molds built and ~10 trips cast for what that cost. The mold tree does 20 trips (10 of each trip) so it is quite a bit more expensive than the 1 that I need for my passenger side, but this is a part that is a known-bad design that fails. I figured that there were a lot of others out there that had a broken trip and might need one to get their door handle working again. If there is enough interest that I don't loose money, I will have a batch run. If not, I will just machine my passenger trip out of 4140.

Final price will depend on interest, but they will likely be between $50 and $75 each.

scottmandu

I've found out the trips aren't the weak link, rather the catches bind up due to wearing out/dirt accumulation which causes stress on the door handle assembly. A bad catch will break even a new door handle quickly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks