• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement leaf springs for M101A1

dstock

Have started to rebuild/convert an M101a1 into an off road camping trailer and noticed one of the leaf springs has a couple cracks in it.

Does anyone know where to find replacement leaf springs and also is there a civy version of them? I have come across some info that indicates the M37 may use the same springs but not sure which years, etc.

Any info, parts numbers, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

dstock

Alright, how about what other M101 series springs would be compatible? I'm guessing just the M101A2?

Thanks.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spring pack

If its not the top leaf with the eyelets, Then take it apart and replace it with another leaf from some other spring pack with the same thickness & width. If its too long, cut it to the appropriate length, etc. Keep in mind that the center bolt hole might be offset, front or back & not in the center. You can buy new center bolts, if need be, but I have made them too.. Have a C-clamp on it when you take the center bolt out - there might/probably is a little load on it. Springs are springs. Width & thickness important. Arch is too, but less critical. Nothing magic about springs - mostly just elbow grease. Any 101/116 series spring pack will inter-change.

That is a great trailer! Welcome to the Site!

Last edited:

DeadParrot

Be sure to check the bearings and spindles before buying new springs. If the bearings need replacing also, might make more sense to replace the axle with a civilian axle and spring set and make the tire/rim situation easier. Unless a PO replaced the Budd rims with something newer.

dstock

If its not the top leaf with the eyelets, Then take it apart and replace it with another leaf from some other spring pack with the same thickness & width. If its too long, cut it to the appropriate length, etc. Keep in mind that the center bolt hole might be offset, front or back & not in the center. You can buy new center bolts, if need be, but I have made them too.. Have a C-clamp on it when you take the center bolt out - there might/probably is a little load on it. Springs are springs. Width & thickness important. Arch is too, but less critical. Nothing magic about springs - mostly just elbow grease. Any 101/116 series spring pack will inter-change.

That is a great trailer! Welcome to the Site!
Thanks for the welcome and the info! Top leaf is fine, it looks to be 2 of the smaller leafs but I need to get them off the trailer to check them out fully.

dstock

Be sure to check the bearings and spindles before buying new springs. If the bearings need replacing also, might make more sense to replace the axle with a civilian axle and spring set and make the tire/rim situation easier. Unless a PO replaced the Budd rims with something newer.
Unfortunately, I had already ordered a new axle hubs etc to work with the old springs before I noticed the damage. I have been poking around online looking for a replacement style spring but most are too short or more narrow. I'm still looking but hopefully will have time this weekend to pull the springs and see what I am dealing with exactly. I need to get all the appropriate measurements as well.
Thanks.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your taking the axle out, you don't have to drop the spring pack, to do the replacement, assuming that its blocked safely. Just clamp it and take out the center bolt to replace the leaves. That spring pack is all you will ever need. They give a good smooth ride and will take all kinds of abuse, then go on to work another day, with few exceptions.DSCN0010.jpgYou have If the broken ones have one of the leaf clamps, they too, can be re-fitted to the replacement leaf, using a soft bolt for a rivet. one of the exceptions. (I don't know what I did to make this mess, but you get the meaning)

dstock

If your taking the axle out, you don't have to drop the spring pack, to do the replacement, assuming that its blocked safely. Just clamp it and take out the center bolt to replace the leaves. That spring pack is all you will ever need. They give a good smooth ride and will take all kinds of abuse, then go on to work another day, with few exceptions.View attachment 522423You have If the broken ones have one of the leaf clamps, they too, can be re-fitted to the replacement leaf, using a soft bolt for a rivet. one of the exceptions. (I don't know what I did to make this mess, but you get the meaning)
Thanks, I do get the meaning! I am planning to fix what I have and have been on the hunt for used ones.

dstock

Update

I was finally able to remove the leaf springs this weekend. The left leaf spring center bolt was rusted to the axle and ultimately I had to unbolt it get the axle free.

Here is the result:

i-4K7NgFM-S.jpg

The bottom leaf from the left spring is broken in 3 pieces. Also both springs have the same leaf cracked in almost the same place (marked with blue tape).

i-GTkXs9V-S.jpg

I am looking into having them repaired, or finding a matching set ( or a couple singles from different suppliers) off another M101 series trailer. Don't want to have any issues down the road but don't want to break the bank either.

I could also try to fix them myself, but not sure about getting the right materials how to do the arch etc. Basically, I don't know much on the topic but that's probably obvious.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Springs do become fatigued, and fail. It sounds like yours have been severely abused, or excessively used. You would do well, at this point to just change then out. In replacing them, there is tolerance, but you just want the pair to have the same arch. To check, just turn them over on the floor, and measure to the top of the arch. A used set, shouldn't be too hard to find. The other thing is to just find another M101A2 - they have excellent surge brakes.

As far as repairing them, you were on the right tract - there is nothing magic about it.

dstock

Springs do become fatigued, and fail. It sounds like yours have been severely abused, or excessively used. You would do well, at this point to just change then out. In replacing them, there is tolerance, but you just want the pair to have the same arch. To check, just turn them over on the floor, and measure to the top of the arch. A used set, shouldn't be too hard to find. The other thing is to just find another M101A2 - they have excellent surge brakes.

As far as repairing them, you were on the right tract - there is nothing magic about it.
Finding them used are harder than you think! I've got a line on one on the west coast and possibly the other on the east coast.

rustystud

I would just take them into a good spring shop and have them make up some new ones for you. The last set I had made up cost around $400.00 , but they where completely new ! Well worth the cost.

dstock

I would just take them into a good spring shop and have them make up some new ones for you. The last set I had made up cost around $400.00 , but they where completely new ! Well worth the cost.
Thanks, I am leaning this way, got one quote so far of about $500, waiting on 2 others.