• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement of Hi/Low beam switch on steering colum

choll

My hi/low beam switch went bad stuck on high bean, naturally, does anyone have any wiz bang way to replace it or should I just follow the TM.

kingchr

Did mine not to long ago. I removed the plastic and metal plates under the steering column. unplugged the wiring for the switch. loosened (but didn't remove) the small bolts holding the steering column plate to the fire wall. Then removed the bolts holding the column up under the dash (two I think) then just let the column drop to the point were I could (fairly) easily remove the nut and bolt holding the switch in. Make sure you check function of the new switch (it clicks on and off in a reasonable way) before reinstalling the steering column and plugging the switch back in. It was all fairly painless, too about 10-15 minutes from start to finish.

Hope this helps, good luck,
Christopher

Old Rusty m1008

its the same way as any other chevy gmc truck of this era.. very easy just make sure you get the tool at auto zone that allows you to press down on the ring and remove the clip holding them on under the nut for the steering wheel and steering wheel

Like Kingchr said... VERY easy fix... the only thing i would add would be to apply some tape to HIgh/Low beam rod, as so it wont fall out... it will be a pain to put back in... replace switch.. the bolt holes are slotted for adjustment, just ensure you test it to ensure it works freely before final snug down....

CycleJay

Sounds good, but does anyone have any photos to go along with this? For others that may need to do this...

Just my $0.02 cents...

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any one have a pic of the tool or a work around? It would be nice to know
what I am up against before I tear into it.
Thanks,
Bruce

Sorry... dont have any pics... but no special tools are required.... If memory is correct... I dont know the exact size, but its like 2 1/4" or 7mm nuts.. apply some tape to rod... unplug harness... install new.... its really simple...

jmassenga

If you are careful to not loose the hardware when removing and reinstalling it by feel, the switch can be replaced without lossening the steering colum. Remove the plastic and metal trim below the steering column, remove the two fasteners, remove and unplug switch, reverse procedure. Takes maybe 5 mins and no special tools are required.

If you are careful to not loose the hardware when removing and reinstalling it by feel, the switch can be replaced without lossening the steering colum. Remove the plastic and metal trim below the steering column, remove the two fasteners, remove and unplug switch, reverse procedure. Takes maybe 5 mins and no special tools are required.
Pics are up here somewhere. That's what I did. Maybe a K9Vic post I think.View attachment Signal Switch Replacement.pdf

Last edited:

CycleJay

Hello Makers,

Thank you for posting that. Now I can see the procedure, it would just be good to see photos too,
it would be helpful.

Just my $0.02 cents...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks