• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement radiator?

1987cucv

My radiator has a leak and needs to be replaced - recommendations on a replacement brands?

I got one of these from Alloyworks, but for some stupid reason the threading on the heater core and coolant sensor is not NPT threaded so its impossible to find fittings for it.

Thanks guys 🍻

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My radiator has a leak and needs to be replaced - recommendations on a replacement brands?

I got one of these from Alloyworks, but for some stupid reason the threading on the heater core and coolant sensor is not NPT threaded so its impossible to find fittings for it.

Thanks guys
That's a nice replacement! If you click more information it shows the thread sizes in the description of the part. I put one from this brand in a 58 Ford custom 300 last week. Fit perfect...was highly surprised as I figured I'd have to make it fit.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

1987cucv

That's a nice replacement! If you click more information it shows the thread sizes in the description of the part. I put one from this brand in a 58 Ford custom 300 last week. Fit perfect...was highly surprised as I figured I'd have to make it fit.

It shows the thread sizes for the cooler lines, but it does not show the thread sizes for the heater core hose and coolant sensor. See the attached image.

The one that arrived is different than the one in the photo also, it doesn't have a hose barb on the radiator instead it has a threaded port, which is fine... except its not NPT threaded so I can't find fittings for it anywhere.

Attachments

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It shows the thread sizes for the cooler lines, but it does not show the thread sizes for the heater core hose and coolant sensor. See the attached image.

The one that arrived is different than the one in the photo also, it doesn't have a hose barb on the radiator instead it has a threaded port, which is fine... except its not NPT threaded so I can't find fittings for it anywhere.
So you got the cooler lines hooked up?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yessir. My original post never mentioned cooler lines - my problem is with the heater core and the coolant sensor.
Oh, ok! I see in the Amazon add the heater core port has a bolt in it? Or is it just a plastic cap? I'd bet it's a half inch unf thread. The port for the sensor is probably 1/8 inch unf. The adapters are out there on Google, plus I use a hydraulic shop for this stuff in the past, too.

1987cucv

Thanks for that, I've been trying to figure this out for a week and this is the first real lead I've gotten.

Both the heater core and the coolant sensor have caps. Both caps are aluminum and threaded. I attached two images of the thread measurements that I took and sent to the company.

When I measure them with my tap and die set, I get 18 TPI and when I take them to the hardware store they thread on (loosely) to the 3/8 fitting.

Should I be looking at 3/8" UNF?

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for that, I've been trying to figure this out for a week and this is the first real lead I've gotten.

Both the heater core and the coolant sensor have caps. Both caps are aluminum and threaded. I attached two images of the thread measurements that I took and sent to the company.

When I measure them with my tap and die set, I get 18 TPI and when I take them to the hardware store they thread on (loosely) to the 3/8 fitting.

I can't swear to it, but one looks like pipe thread (tapered) and the other (not tapered, with an o-ring) screws in and bottoms out on the o-ring.

Maybe it is just the picture, but that brass fitting does not have an o-ring. Right?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Ok I'd look for a metric 1.5 thread by 12..14ish?? If the 3/8 is loose it's probably metric. The 16 thread is very close.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you
Looks like its 16-1.5

I'm having a heck of a time finding anything for the heater hose.
Any tips on finding something that is 16-1.5 to 3/4" (19mm?)
That's great! Finally found that thread. I use a hydraulic shop for my weird fittings most of the time. You won't find that at any hardware store. Google one in your area. If they don't then they have outlets that will. Online you'd have to search that thread in unf I think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks