• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement speedometer and speedometer drive gear question.

llong66

Hello,

I needed to replace the inst. cluster on my 85 M1008 and while mine worked fine, I kept the speedometer that came with the new cluster
because it has less miles on it and in Indiana, on a truck of this age, the milage listed on the title is simply exempt.
I noticed on my first drive, that the tranny was not shifting at the speed it had before the replacement and verifyied with my GPS
the new unit is off by 9-10 mph.
My question is, is the unit used in a M1009 itself, different than on an M1008? I had always thought that this was set at the tranny with the speedo drive.
I noticed this change BEFORE I bought the new tires I have also posted about and other than tread ware, the tires are the same size

Thanks much!
Greg

scottladdy

The -20P shows a single part number for the speedometer, no UOC's listed:

3 PAOZZ 11862 25052373 SPEEDOMETER 1

Speedo gear is definitely different due to the different final gear ratio. 4.56 vs 3.08

I have found that the bearings in the speedo head can get gummed up with time. I carefully place a drop of synthetic oil on each bearing and things go back to normal. YMMV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks