• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacements for soldier B

jets1959

Hi

Thought I'd try starting a new thread about adaptive measures / tools and equipment used to replace the infamous "Soldier B". I'm a one person shop, and I've got some (OK a lot) of physical challenges. I have to come up with new ways or slightly modified ways of getting a two person, and sometimes even a one person job done.

These showed up on another thread but I think the ideas can come from all vehicle types.

Well here's the first Soldier B replacement, I use it for installing brake drums on Deuces. It's made from a transmission lift and a floor jack. The transmission lift has been modified by rearranging parts and is made to fit in the cup where the normal cup fits into.
I too am a lone mechanic. Your brake drum tool would have come in handy pulling and installing my M1031 drums. Any soldier "B" replacements will be greatly appreciated.:popcorn:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Soldier "B" for the lighter tasks and soldier "B"for the heavy lifting.

( I like that cutdown wheel for removing the hubs, I'm going to borrow that idea)
Both excellent ideas! I wouldn't let my sonnear a hammer, he's like me. He needs a few years before mastering the hammer technique. I use my tractor for a variety of tasks as well.[thumbzup]

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
I finished my soldier b for removing 5 ton hubs, whadda ya think¿ View attachment 316033
Awsome! [thumbzup][thumbzup]can you make one for a deuce? I don't know how to weld. Got a welder but no idea how to use it. That's why i have and keep getting every piece of hardware I can find at yard sales. Welding aint in my repetoire of skills but blaging something up with nuts, bolts dexion and whatever, I can do that all day.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awsome! [thumbzup][thumbzup]can you make one for a deuce? I don't know how to weld. Got a welder but no idea how to use it. That's why i have and keep getting every piece of hardware I can find at yard sales. Welding aint in my repetoire of skills but blaging something up with nuts, bolts dexion and whatever, I can do that all day.
I was thinking about this earlier today, considering cutting up a good truck wheel. You don't need to. All you would need to do is take a couple of, say 3/8" x 1 1/2" flat bar. Drill or burn holes in them for two studs and weld them in a V configuration down to the base of the transmission jack. So a flat bar going up each side of the brake drum.

If that does not make sense let me know and I will make a crude drawing using BeerCAD and post it up here.

dezert ratt

The only reason I cut up the wheel was for storing it when I don't need it. My garage is getting cramped with all these new big tools I'm acquiring to work on my truck haha

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks