• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing block heater on M1009

erniemigi

I am getting ready to test the block heater on my 86 M1009, if it turns out to be bad and i have to replace it, is there anything i should expect coming out of the engine when i take it off, IE oil, coolant, bats, shell casing. sorry to sound intellectually disabled on this subject but i am new to the MV and Diesel world and have never replaced one before. thanks ya'll for any info :?

Last edited by a moderator:

jw4x4

Some '09's had block heaters, some didn't. Mine did not, so I installed one. Make sure you get all the grunge off to assure a good seal. I drained my radiator before hand, but some coolant will always remain in the block. Make sure the heating element is not touching the block.

12vctd

Coolant is all it is like what was said before, I also like to pull the small pipe plug ont he bottom of the block before I pull out old heater or freeze plug and let it drain its coolant from both there and the radiator. Sometimes when you pull the plug nothing will come out but a small drip, stick something in the hole to break up the crud.

3dubs

My truck came from MO but did not have one. I looked in the TM but did not see it. Down here we do not need them. But don't they just go in a freeze plug hole?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has one on the drivers side mid way down the length of the engine. If its like others I've changed, it should be easy, messy, but easy. Drain the radiator, get a drain pan and put it under the freeze plug hole where the heater is located. Usually some sort of bolt set up is what holds it in. Loosen it, turn the plug, once you break it loose, get ready for a possible mess. have pan and rags ready. Clean up all the mess both around the hole and everywhere else the crud landed. Installation in accordance with manufacturer instructions.

Or you could take it to a shop and have them do it.

jw4x4

Yes 3dubs, they go in a freeze plug hole. I used a punch to dislodge the existing plug, then slightly bent the plug to make it easier to get out of the hole. The heater element came from GM with pretty good instructions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks