• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacing cucv flex plate, any easy ways??

67buickss

alright id say i have to replace the flex plate and i was wondering if there were any easy way to do this?

also where is a good place to get it from, are there two different models for the truck with different number of teeth?

tourdog

flex plate

there is no easy way to do it . just doing it . but you can get one at napa about $75.00 just be sure it is the diesel one for a 6.2 . then un bolt trans from engine unbolt drive shafts then unbolt the crossmeber slide back 5-6 inchs undo bolts from flex plate put new one in . then bolt every thing back did mine alone 1-2 hours . not that bad only have to undo one end of drive shafts . good luck have fun

acmunro

The way I always did it was to get (4) longer bolts that fit the bell housing.
Remove the (4) lower bell housing bolts install your longer bolts.
Remove Torque converter cover and Starter.
Remove Torque converter to flexplate bolts.
Remove the remaining bell housing bolts.
Disconnect your transmission shift linkage and Transfer case shift linkage.
Disconnect t-case wiring and speedometer cable to prevent damage.
Remove front and rear drive shaft at the transfer case. The rear driveshaft can remain engaged with the transfer case so the fluid doesn't drain out - Just remove it at the rear axle.
Put a floor jack under the cross member - remove cross member bolts. Slide assembly back- Your longer bolts will need to be long enough to allow you to reach up and remove the flexplate to crankshaft bolts. The long bolts keep everything lined up.
Reassemble.
Don't get hurt.

OLDCHEV4X4

Remove front and rear drive shaft at the transfer case. The rear driveshaft can remain engaged with the transfer case so the fluid doesn't drain out - Just remove it at the rear axle.
Put a floor jack under the cross member - remove cross member bolts. Slide assembly back- Your longer bolts will need to be long enough to allow you to reach up and remove the flexplate to crankshaft bolts. The long bolts keep everything lined up.
Reassemble.
Don't get hurt.
Thats how i do it....Except for the "Don't get hurt" part. I always get a bloody knuckle somewhere along the way.

ETHOS

be careful to make sure the convertor is seated in the front pump full before tightening things down, if not the pump rotor gets broken..........

before reassembly push in on the convertor while spinning it, you will feel it bottom out

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't take the converter out of the trans. Step 3 in acmunro's instructions cover disconnecting the converter. No need to disengage it from the front pump.

nap159

first i would check to see if it is the correct starter...my cucv had a starter with the wrong number of teeth on the starter drive. when i brought it to compare with a new starter i found a different number of teeth and different tooth profile. i put the right starter in it and she worked great, even though the flex plate teeth had suffered a bit of damage. the difference was the wrong starter was the newer gear reduction smaller starter. the right one was a direct drive monster. hope this helps.

ralbelt

Good info on flexplate replacement I just did mine a few months ago, had it in and took it back out to double check the pump fingers. I forget what the torque specs are but are in the TM. NAPA had the flexplate about $90.00 if I remember.
I ended up using a forklift with 6' extension, put the forks under the crossmenber and slid it back and dropped it down with the front tires on blocks. I wanted to clean and paint while I had it out.

ida34

I have a good flexplate in Dexter near Ann Arbor. I would take $20 for it if you want to come get it. If you are interested let me know and I will try to locate it.

Chuck

67buickss

wow alright thanks guys, yea im on my 4th starter in like two months and i just adjusted my injector timing and it worked great for a few weeks then it started sounding like its grinding and its always in one spot and that spot is a little warn so i figure that is the hopefully last problem, or any other info on what may be causing this problem.

acmunro

On GM's I always tried to keep the same starter and have it rebuilt. I was having problems with it similar to yours. I replaced the flywheel had the starter rebuilt. Worked good for a while but ground the new teeth. Starter rebuilder kept saying it was not the starter. Guess what I changed to a different starter and the problems went away. It would only occasionally grind - because of the bad teeth on the flywheel. Long story short- Sometimes a good quality starter will fix the problem.

100acre

longer bolts

Reassemble.
Don't get hurt.
How much longer shold the bolts be and can you tell me the diameter so i can get them before I start removing transmission? thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much longer shold the bolts be and can you tell me the diameter so i can get them before I start removing transmission? thanks
Depends on the block.

Most of the CUCVs use SAE bellhousing bolts. They are 3/8"

The newer GEP 6.5L engines use metric bolts. I don't have the size right now. I'll post it later.

I use a 4 1/2" to 6" x 3/8" grade 2 or 5 for the flywheel change on a stock engine.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the starter works most of the time but every once in a while it just spins because of the missing teeth on the flexplate.

Or the center of the plate is broken and it makes a terible racket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks