• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Front Leaf Springs - M1009

DavidJBlythe

I'm very new to suspension items...

I have some basic questions that I would love to have answered if you could:

1. My front leaf springs need to be replaced. I would like to replace them with OEM replacements for now. The manual tells me that the GM part number is 460354. Does anyone know how much arch or lift this part has? Advance Auto doesn't seem to have it but has a lot available with different lifts. I don't want to order the wrong one.

2. The bottom of the truck is rusted. While I'm replacing the leaf springs, what other parts get replaced? Bushings? U-Bolts? I have NO idea. Right now, my plan is to just order two leaf springs and reuse all other parts because I don't know what parts are commonly replaced while doing this kind of work.

Please help me to order what I will need, that way when I start turning wrenches, I won't find out that I'm missing something. From reading other leaf spring related posts, they seem to take off on tangents and never directly answer the question. Thanks for any help! My main goal is to just get the truck fixed with the right parts!

original

I replaced mine a few weeks ago. Had them made at a mining repair shop. Any 1 ton rated spring that lines up will work. Arc and lift are prefrences. Advanced auto should have a diagram that shows how to measure arc and lift. Replace anything and everything rubber especially the leaf spring bushings and frame bushings (go poly). Inspect your spring hangers for cracks or rust deterioration and replace if necessary. It would be a good idea to replace the U bolts. Good luck removing the hanger bolts, I had a rough time getting the ones out of the frame.

DavidJBlythe

I called Nick at St. Louis Leaf Spring and he has no idea what a military K5 Blazer is or an M1009... He said that he could make me some if I could provide the specs. Does anyone know what the specs are for the M1009 front leaf springs? Length, Arc, width, etc? He tried looking up the part number: 460354 but he had no idea what that part number was or meant. Any info would be awesome.

SmokeyDod

To David Bly-- Why do you think you need to replace your front leaf springs on M1009? You do realize that the OEM springs are "De-Arced" type which means they are & looked like they are bent down which is correct. The M1009 has 3 leafs per side and are 3" wide x 47-1/2" c-c eye. On ea side two leafs full lenght & one on bottom is much shorter. Normally these won't go bad unless something drastic happened. Might just need shocks depending on what problem you are having.

DavidJBlythe

Smokeydod, That's a great point. To be sure, I'll have someone else take a look at them to verify they are or are not an issue. Also, thanks for providing the specs. The only reason I think they are shot is because they don't have any arc left, and the one on the passenger side actually droops way down causing the truck to lean to the right. That leaf spring looks more like a recurve bow and is really bent about three inches in from the end. I'm thinking that I'll just replace the shocks at the same time I'm doing all this.

Again, thanks for the info. I'll get a second set of eyes on this.

edgebar

i had(have a listing problem as well. i had a local tire shop install new tuff country ezride springs...2" lift in front and 3" in back. new poly spring bushings and new shocks. the list is still there, found a couple of crushed body mounts. new stock size poly mounts ordered.
i have to say, the new springs etc. made the truck like a totally new different truck. no squeeks or groans, rides 200% better, espcially over washboard road. well worth it. it was a little pricey, but again a huge improvement. let me know if you would like the part numbers they used. good luck.

DavidJBlythe

edgebar, thanks for the info. After having someone else work with me on this, I went ahead and ordered a 4" suspension lift kit that has most of the parts I was consistently hearing that I would be replacing. We'll see how it turns out. I've sprayed nearly every suspension part on the truck with penetrating oil so hopefully these rusted bolts wont be too hard to remove... but I think I'm only kidding myself. I'll get some before and after pictures.

rlwm211

If you go go a 4x4 specialty shop you can probably pick up a good used set of front springs for a very reasonable price. That would be my path to simply replace them.

The front springs are reverse arched and look like they are sagging when they are actually in very workable condition. If the stance of your truck is what concerns you then you need a lift kit and the amount of lift determines the height of the blocks for the back. If you do a lift kit you will be likely replacing the front reverse arched springs with conventional springs and will have to install new stop blocks and the shocks will have to be replaced as well on all four corners. I would add if the lift is substantial enough you will need to add a raised steering knuckle arm to compensate for the change in alignment of the steering box and the knuckle on the front axle to eliminate bump steer.

I have had a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton Suburbans which use the very same front suspension with the difference being the number of leaves. The load capacity is deceptive as the reverse arched springs do not deflect much when you add weight. The purpose of the reverse arch is to provide a smooth ride with superior load capacity and also a lower stance for lower venter of gravity. If you alter any variable in your suspesion you alter the handling as well so be advised that you are entering into bit more complicated area of engineering than it appears.

RL

Last edited:

rlwm211

I checked in my Mitchell on Demand, and a 1985-6 is listed as K10 Blazer. I am not sure if that will make much of a difference but it may make it easier for the Whiz Kids at the Autoparts counter to look up the vehicle.

RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks