• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing my engine

DocBlackfoot

Hello all, I'm replacing my 6.2. After taking it to a wrench he was able to get it started, but there is a really decent knock. My questions, anyone ever buy/use an engine from http://www.dieselfixer.com/ I'm just really gun shy with this whole thing and the last thing I need is to get an engine that will blow after a couple months.
Another question is should i attempt to drive this with a rod knock? The wrench I have it with now is going to charge 2500 to replace the engine (labor only) and I have another guy who will do it for 500.

Michael

I don't think I would believe anything the man says if he wants $2500 to do an engine swap. How much did he charge you to get it running?

Michael

I don't know the answer to your original question. I guess it all depends on how far you live from the shop, how bad the traffic is and how bad it sounds, but you have got to get it out of that man's shop. He thinks way too much of his time. It will cost more than it is worth to get it fixed there. Someone here told a similar story and went to the shop after hours and fixed it himself. A loose bolt under the valve cover if I remember correctly. These flat tow well if you can find a tow bar.

Croatan_Kid

I barely have $2500 in my whole truck including what I've done to it! That guy must think he's the reason miracles happen or sumthin :shock: I say get it away from him real quick.

Crazyguyla

If your going to replace your 6.2, spend the extra $$$ for a 6.5. Are you sure it's a rod knock? I've heard 6.2 with what sounded like a rod knock and turned out to be a fuel knock from a leaking injector or blown head gasket. I'd get the truck moved to a diffrent shop and have a compression check done.

Towerguy1

I would get it out of that shop ASAP! Before you jump to any conclusions I would get a couple of opinions from people with diesel experiance. There are several things that can cause a knock in a diesel engine and some cheap simple tricks to troubleshoot them that you might even do yourself. If all else fails a 6.5 swap is worth the trouble if you can have it done reasonable.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I would take the truck and di di out of the AO. Not worth that amount of money.

I had the experience of knocking with mine considering it sat for months awaiting auction and engine work, then had the oil changed to include the oil pan. I had a week between draining the oil, dropping the pan, then getting everything back together. First time I cranked it up, it was knocking like crazy and thought it I had a significant problem. Pulled the valve cover, restarted it to see which rocker it was but within 5 minutes of idling, it resolved itself.

What location do you live at in northern NJ? What is the price given on the replacement engine and is it new, reconditioned, or used and working when removed?

DocBlackfoot

Spoke with the owner of the engine place Tom. http://www.dieselfixer.com/ and he told me that while he did indeed sell the used engines, the bulk of his business was in rebuilt 6.2 and 6.5 engines. The used engine price is 895.00 while the rebuild with a 1 year warr is 2250. I'm going with the rebuild.

Cdub

DocBlackfoot said:
Spoke with the owner of the engine place Tom. http://www.dieselfixer.com/ and he told me that while he did indeed sell the used engines, the bulk of his business was in rebuilt 6.2 and 6.5 engines. The used engine price is 895.00 while the rebuild with a 1 year warr is 2250. I'm going with the rebuild.
Good choice and get the guy to put it in for $500 and it's a done deal.....$2500 is way to much coin to do an engine swap......way to much...!!

C'dub

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks