• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing/rebuilding radiator

Bobweb

So im on to my next project, replacing/rebuilding my radiator. It isn’t leaking but is in rough shape and I want it to be reliable for the Georgia ride this October. I have a local old school radiator guy who quoted me 1200.00 to have it sent away to a place in Alabama that rebuilds them. I asked further about this and he said you have to be careful who rebuilds them cause they don’t use enough lead…don’t quote me on specifics but he sounds like he knows what he’s talking about. I’ve also seen new ones for around the same price, but not sure of quality based on what he was saying. Any thoughts on this from those who know or already experienced?

Attachments

INFChief

$1200 is pretty steep; IMO. For 1200 smackeroos they’ve got to remove both tanks and inlet / outlet and completely clean & install new inlet/outlet, new core, and reassemble, pressure test, and paint.

But, of course, there aren’t many radiator shops around as there used to be because of EPA and the caustic solutions used to in radiator repair.

It looks like someone attempted some sort of repair already - based on the one photo with the green / blue discoloration. I’ve only ever used silver solder on radiators.

Can you see inside the upper & lower tank and whether the rows of coolant passages are clogged or have crud?

Bobweb

$1200 is pretty steep; IMO. For 1200 smackeroos they’ve got to remove both tanks and inlet / outlet and completely clean & install new inlet/outlet, new core, and reassemble, pressure test, and paint.

But, of course, there aren’t many radiator shops around as there used to be because of EPA and the caustic solutions used to in radiator repair.

It looks like someone attempted some sort of repair already - based on the one photo with the green / blue discoloration. I’ve only ever used silver solder on radiators.

Can you see inside the upper & lower tank and whether the rows of coolant passages are clogged or have crud?
He told me he personally went to the factory in Alabama that makes the cores and said he saw the process and knows they do quality long lasting work. He is actually one of the old school radiator shops you are speaking of so I won’t name the shop cause I don’t think the green police know about it.

when I get home I’ll crack open the fill and take a look and post pics. I’m not going to be taking it out till after Memorial Day cause I’m in a parade but just wanted to get a game plan and see what my options were and the most recommended route.

I took my radiator out of my 5 ton M52a2 to have it rebuilt at the only shop in the area where I have taken radiators from trucks and drilling equipment they took it a part and could not get it to seal so strange they fixed every thing large and small before same guys .I bought a new one from Memphis equipment .

I would look for a new one and save your old one for a extra .

Bobweb

I took my radiator out of my 5 ton M52a2 to have it rebuilt at the only shop in the area where I have taken radiators from trucks and drilling equipment they took it a part and could not get it to seal so strange they fixed every thing large and small before same guys .I bought a new one from Memphis equipment .

I would look for a new one and save your old one for a extra .
I emailed them to see what kinda deal they could make me. Didn’t have a price on the website. It would be easier to just buy a new one. Just wanted to make sure the quality was up to par. Thanks for the input

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bobweb that radiator doesnt look bad, granted some of the support structure is showing some replacement potential but the radiator it self look OK to me. 1200 for fixing it seems a bit steep, my opinion only. How much for a new aluminum radiator? If its not leaking and it were mine I would have it cleaned out really well by a truck shop you dont have to take the radiator out I think I paid around 150.00 for this service and my radiator was just fine and after the cleaning it cooled better than before. If a radiator is getting ready to malfunction your going to see leakage in the core or usually between the core and the lower tank, if you see this then I may start shopping if not rarely if ever a radiator just totally blows out. If your have not leaks get it cleaned re-inspect after it comes up to temp and I would run it!

Bobweb

I like your style! I’m just worried about getting on the road with it and having a malfunction. I’m planning on driving from morganton ga to Oliver springs tn and don’t want to get stranded. Granted I’ve never had any problems, just trying to beef up anything I need to before some hard boggin’!

rustystud

Part off the problem is the sky-high price of copper and brass right now. Also most manufactures no longer make copper cored radiators. There almost all aluminum today. So to find a company that will make a real copper cored radiator with copper or brass tank tops is rare and costly. The one place here in the Seattle area that used to make them no longer does. That is why a few years ago I bought a spare radiator for my Deuce.

ToddJK

Honestly, your radiator looks decent from the pics. These radiators don't usually fail. My first deuce had a crack along the fill tube on the tank. I just used some solder to fix it and it never leaked again for the next two and half years I had the truck and I made some long drives with it, including going from MI to NE. One thing I didn't do was clean it. If you do a flush, that should help if there's any doubt of the engine staying at a steady temp, but that's not hard to do. I'd look into a new one and just save up for it or buy it and swap it when you can but then keep the old one for a spare or sell it here in the classifieds.

Bobweb

Bobweb that radiator doesnt look bad, granted some of the support structure is showing some replacement potential but the radiator it self look OK to me. 1200 for fixing it seems a bit steep, my opinion only. How much for a new aluminum radiator? If its not leaking and it were mine I would have it cleaned out really well by a truck shop you dont have to take the radiator out I think I paid around 150.00 for this service and my radiator was just fine and after the cleaning it cooled better than before. If a radiator is getting ready to malfunction your going to see leakage in the core or usually between the core and the lower tank, if you see this then I may start shopping if not rarely if ever a radiator just totally blows out. If your have not leaks get it cleaned re-inspect after it comes up to temp and I would run it!
Can I do a flush myself or is it better to have a truck shop do it? I’ve done a flush on my Cherokee before.

Bobweb

Honestly, your radiator looks decent from the pics. These radiators don't usually fail. My first deuce had a crack along the fill tube on the tank. I just used some solder to fix it and it never leaked again for the next two and half years I had the truck and I made some long drives with it, including going from MI to NE. One thing I didn't do was clean it. If you do a flush, that should help if there's any doubt of the engine staying at a steady temp, but that's not hard to do. I'd look into a new one and just save up for it or buy it and swap it when you can but then keep the old one for a spare or sell it here in the classifieds.
Mine stays right at 170 or a little below after some intense 40-50mile trips pretty much wide open. From the info I’m gathering from you guys, it seems to be in better condition that I thought. It’s just looks rough and part of the shroud broke free but not hitting the fan.

Bobweb

Part off the problem is the sky-high price of copper and brass right now. Also most manufactures no longer make copper cored radiators. There almost all aluminum today. So to find a company that will make a real copper cored radiator with copper or brass tank tops is rare and costly. The one place here in the Seattle area that used to make them no longer does. That is why a few years ago I bought a spare radiator for my Deuce.
Are NOS copper/brass cored?

INFChief

Can I do a flush myself or is it better to have a truck shop do it? I’ve done a flush on my Cherokee before.
Sure; I would flush in reverse of the standard water flow. I wouldn’t use any real caustic solutions - at least nothing to start with. I would start with a garden hose (without a nozzle) 1st and see what will flow out under low flow pressure.

And you can pressed check when finished. Grab an old tire inner tube and clamp a piece over the inlet or outlet. Take a section to f the tube with the valve stem and clamp that on the outlet. Put the rad cap back in. Apply up to 20 psi and spray the radiator with soapy water looking for leaks. STANT makes a radiator pressure tester and maybe your local auto parts store will let you borrow it or rent it to you cheap.

Reactions: HDN

Bobweb

Sure; I would flush in reverse of the standard water flow. I wouldn’t use any real caustic solutions - at least nothing to start with. I would start with a garden hose (without a nozzle) 1st and see what will flow out under low flow pressure.

And you can pressed check when finished. Grab an old tire inner tube and clamp a piece over the inlet or outlet. Take a section to f the tube with the valve stem and clamp that on the outlet. Put the rad cap back in. Apply up to 20 psi and spray the radiator with soapy water looking for leaks. STANT makes a radiator pressure tester and maybe your local auto parts store will let you borrow it or rent it to you cheap.
Awesome, thanks for the advice. As soon as I get time I’ll give it a try.

ToddJK

Most of the big military surplus shops are pretty good to deal with. Definitely lots of good people on here, that's why I decided to buy my truck from a SS member. If anything, swap the radiator out and if you do, might as well replace the hoses while you're in there, keep them for a spare as well. In the meantime you can spruce up the spare radiator so it's in tip top shape in case you do need it or sell it. Maybe even take it to the Georgia rally if you go in case someone damages their radiator or needs one and swap for other parts you want or need.

Bobweb

Most of the big military surplus shops are pretty good to deal with. Definitely lots of good people on here, that's why I decided to buy my truck from a SS member. If anything, swap the radiator out and if you do, might as well replace the hoses while you're in there, keep them for a spare as well. In the meantime you can spruce up the spare radiator so it's in tip top shape in case you do need it or sell it. Maybe even take it to the Georgia rally if you go in case someone damages their radiator or needs one and swap for other parts you want or need.
Went ahead and ordered the hoses from
Big mikes for a whole set $141 shipped. Good idea about the radiator at the Georgia rally was prob gonna bring all my spare parts and a sizable tool box. I imagine someone’s prob gonna break something somewhere

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks