• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing reflectors with lamps.

Snarky

The deuce is a dark bastard. Something about that OD seems to suck in the light surrounding it. Legally in Texas, since my deuce is over a certain width I should have marker lights on it.

I've already connected my rear parking lamps to my front parking lamps, so that when my service lights are on, I have front parking lamps. However, I still feel like I'm kind of a target for LEOs and non-attentive drivers merging into me.

I'm trying to find the best way to add marker lamps to the areas where reflectors are currently located. I feel that night driving will become a whole lot safer if other drivers could actually see how big of a vehicle is actually driving next to them.

Personally I would like lamps that were also reflective so that when it's parked it's visible as well, but I would also like them to look military. I'm leaning towards LED lights because I think I want to do a full LED conversion on my truck. Headlights, combo lights, and dash lights. I've even found some 24v LED H3 bulbs to replace my 24v incandescent H4 offroad lamps.

Anyways, I think the biggest challenge aside from choosing the correct lamp assembly for the application, will be actually running the wires and have them look professional. I may weld a metal channel to the bed at each lamp, to run the wires through externally, because the majority of the reflectors are bolted right through the bed into the cargo area, and wires in there run a great risk of being damaged.

I look forward to the 2 pages of comments on why I don't need lamps, how wrong it is to modify a deuce, and other negative comments before I get some suggestions on appropriate lamp types for the application and creative solutions for wire management.

Thank you.

Attachments

zout

check out the thread on our 2 - 109a3's - I added 2 differetn style LED markers to them in 24v - I like em and I take donations if anyone wants me to change them :roll:
I would perfer myself to have them for driving - if it were a combat situation - turn em off - just like the switch does for you if you wire them in right and it sounds like you are going to do just that.

exbrown

Have you considered mounting them on either side of the boxed reinforcing on the bed?
That would allow you to run the wiring inside the boxing and light up the side of the bed at the same time. You would be able to see them from front or back.

Snarky

check out the thread on our 2 - 109a3's - I added 2 differetn style LED markers to them in 24v - I like em and I take donations if anyone wants me to change them :roll:
I would perfer myself to have them for driving - if it were a combat situation - turn em off - just like the switch does for you if you wire them in right and it sounds like you are going to do just that.
Are these the markers you are referring to? They look pretty good.

Have you considered mounting them on either side of the boxed reinforcing on the bed?
That would allow you to run the wiring inside the boxing and light up the side of the bed at the same time. You would be able to see them from front or back.
Which reinforcing are you referring to? I don't have my deuce with me right at the moment to look at it. Depending on the reinforcing, you're talking about I fear it might either be too difficult to get a nut in there to bolt the lamps up, or possible damage to wiring due to the cargo bows. I don't want to tap or use self tapping screws in mounting them, and I would like to utilize existing reflector locations, but I'll take a look at the reinforcement areas to see if they would be 'easy' to mount there in addition to reflectors instead of replacing them.

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some M35's had them on the sides. There is a bracket (easy to make) off the front turn signal guards for the yellow marker lights and I believe it's an angle bracket under the box sides for the red ones. Sure someone will post pics.

jasonjc

Those on the 109 look good. As far as you "moding" your truck, well it's not unmilitary at all. There is a "kit" that puts light on the front and on the bed. Here is a pic of the ones on the front. Also look in the parts book I think it shows the ones on the bed. One note on the front I think the top light is to point to the rear to act as a side trun light. It's a erou thing:roll:.
Sorry to not add any thing neg:razz:.

Attachments

zout

snarky - those were the led to #1 - here are the led to mine #2 (just for reference)
I have them in the bottom channel which is open at the back on the 109.
I will drill the crossmembers and install rubber grommets and run the 2 wire harness into to keep it from rubs and falling.
On the left side I will catch the lr lamp and wire into the run light circuuit - same as to the right side to keep the harness's simple. Connections will be with shrinkable connectors - weather tight.

The tag light is clear led as well and is a model 15 trucklite that fits into a tag light bracket. Also wired into the same circuit on a 2 into 1 shrinkable splice.

Attachments

Snarky

snarky - those were the led to #1 - here are the led to mine #2 (just for reference)
I have them in the bottom channel which is open at the back on the 109.
I will drill the crossmembers and install rubber grommets and run the 2 wire harness into to keep it from rubs and falling.
On the left side I will catch the lr lamp and wire into the run light circuuit - same as to the right side to keep the harness's simple. Connections will be with shrinkable connectors - weather tight.

The tag light is clear led as well and is a model 15 trucklite that fits into a tag light bracket. Also wired into the same circuit on a 2 into 1 shrinkable splice.
Ah, I like those! Good info.

kc5mzd

Believe it or not in Texas (and several other states) you have to have reflectors. Also if you install them all your marker lights have to work or you will get stopped. Make sure you do a good job running the wires and be sure to have the required reflectors in the proper colors in the proper places.

datsunaholic

When I bought my Deuce, there were enough of them at auction that I intentionally picked out ones that already had the military side marker kit installed to be my "primary" bid targets, and that's what I got.

Attachments

Opie

I like these thoughts. In the same vein, I'm thinking about wiring up a "third brake light" to the trailer electrical plug for additional visibility. We'll see how well that works out...

zout

KC - good eye
I had these just set in - in no order till I finally painted them - then set them in proper order per DOT.

IN any of these markers they come with available mount brackets - 2 " - oval - 4 in whatever. If you look at GROTE or Trucklite site you can really get some good ideas of mount and placement instead of putting them "wherever" just to get lights.
And correct on the DOT - if you have a light on it - it has to work under a commercial vehicle. These 109's are not registered under commercial but the lighting and or reflectors for the given year have to be operational.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks