• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Spring Brake Diaphragms

acme66

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8qp53AIQrA

Yea, I know, don't and never, but those are the same things we say about split rims right and how many of us have done that by hand too? Not down playing the danger but I can be more frank on here than I can on youtube. I am going to go out on a limb and say I think this is one of those things that gets overblown. The **** thing terrifies me and I go about it very methodically because of it. I bet if I changed several of these a day in a service station I would lose my fear and start changing them on auto pilot. Bad things happen on auto pilot, just ask the missing 1/2 inch of my left middle finger or the jointer that took it. I tried very hard to never put myself in the direct path and kept myself aware of exactly where it would go if it went. Never gave it more than a chance for a glancing blow if I could help it. Anyway I think the perception is worse than the reality on this one. Not that it can't hurt you or kill but that they are little more than ticking time bombs and the next mouse fart will set them off. That’s the stuff they say to keep Joe Blow from messing with them but are we Joe Blow? I'm not, you decide for your self I guess. It was practical information that was missing. I am disclaimered up so while my official advice is don't, here are my tips:

Inspect the caging tool for damage and replace if you see ANYTHING that looks funky.
Do what I did and try to damage the caging bolt by whacking it by hand on something hard. If you mark it, replace it.
Make sure the truck is aired down. That will mean opening valves 1,2 and 3. Leave them open, leave them all open, even 4.
Chock it if you don't have mud to freeze it into.
Inspect the caging socket; get to know it with a light. If you see damage it is over, replace the whole thing.
Play with the tool to get the feel of the socket, make love to it with the bolt. You want to KNOW when you have it properly seated.
Lube the threads. JUST THE THREADS. I used wax. Lots of tension is going on there and you don't want the added stress of a galled up nut.
Go check the air again.
No air tools or socket wrenches when caging. Use an open end so you can see, hear and feel what is going on.
Treat it like a loaded gun when caged, stay out of the line of fire, inspect from angles. No helpers.
I think the tire rubber lubricant (the real stuff) helped center that diaphragm. I didn't show it because I don't know if it is good for it but I think it helped.
Getting those diaphragms in was frustrating. It took a long time. Nothing is going to make that better. Expect it. Don't rush.
Clean the clamps before you install them. I lubed them, I think it helped.
Replace the clamp nuts with quality 3/8 stainless nylon lock nuts. You will thank me.
Tighten the clamps and tap them, tighten and tap, tighten and tap. Don't over tighten and damage the bolts.
Uncage, then immediately recage.
Re-inspect everything again and then loosen the clamps. I could hear and feel the rubber adjust itself.
Tap and tighten, inspect and uncage.

I used NAPA part numbers MBI DP12 and MBI DP16. I have yet to replace any of the service diaphragms but I wanted some on hand. Still looking for a decent price (or any) source for new (or rebuilt) whole cans. Recommendations (part numbers and store names) appreciated.

I know others have done this so if you have some tricks post them here, you know in between the rage and your going to die comments.

Always remember (both you and your lawyer) my OFFICIAL stance on this is don't, but if you do, no auto pilot ok?

Happy New Year from Montana.

-Ken

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good vid and what also can be done is air up the truck and put the parking brake on and then put the locking bolt in place. Like you said 1/4 turn and hold it with your hand till you get the nut tight. Then you don't have to crank on the nut with all the spring pressure on it as much before it's ready to come apart if the pancake rubber is good on the parking side. Then for safety after you feel the nut is tight and your ready to take it apart. Release the parking brake air down the truck and with 4 mins or smoke them if you got them to see if the locking bolt held. If it don't pop off by then the chamber is safe I feel.
Heck I rather face one of the chambers than a AK47 like most of you members on this board have done.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What ever you do, NEVER be in line with the caging bolt or the can, ALWAYS try to KNOW where flying parts may hit.

acme66

Release the parking brake air down the truck and with 4 mins or smoke them if you got them to see if the locking bolt held. If it don't pop off by then the chamber is safe I feel.
That is a great idea, maybe even cycle the parking brake a few time and listen for the *ping*. That would be a good way to stress the bolt and make sure it is really holding rather than just at the edge of holding.

Ken

pmramsey

I replaced diaphragms on my M923 one at a time on the front rear axle. Each time I fixed one, another would go within a week or so. Frustrating! Northern Virginia Fleet supply had the complete cans for $250 each but the diaphragms were only $6.70 each. I finally purchased a couple of Haldex cans from Peterbuiltparts.com for under $150 each. I also have purchased a new one and a used one from members here on the forum. I also have an M931. It's just a matter of time. It was even more frustrating replacing the diaphragms because many of the cans had chips and cracks around the flanges that required new cans.

RetiredNavy

Ken, how could you have sun when 4 inches of snow dropped in Billings last night and a nightmare this morning? still have the insurance info you sent. Good video BTW.

jarhead1086

Thanks Ken. I had a spring can where the cage bolt plate had a totally wobbled out hole where you could not cage bolt it. This needs inspected as well as the bolt. It didn't leak air, but I wanted a can with a nice key hole for when it was needed. I loosened the U clamps, removed the brass air fittings so I could rotate the whole unit and unscrewed it while hiding behind the tire until it shot at the differential. I had a large drift punch poked into the open air flow holes to rotate it with. It wasn't that bad with the U clamps aiming it and containing it from flying. Now I have a nice take off can that has never been abused by a Private. I may disassemble the bad can by shooting the nuts off from a safe distance.

Rkrug

Thanks for making the video, I have replaced the other diaphragm on the spring brake but that did not fix my problem so it must be the one you replaced.
IMG_0785.jpgIMG_0788.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks