• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Steering Stablizier

pinbill

Hello-

I hope this is not an elementary question. I was able to get the steering shock off but did not know how to remove the mounting hardware from the shock itself. Does anyone have any ideas about getting this off or is there another one I should buy one somewhere that has new mounting hardware included.

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:

ida34

The new shock should have new mounting hardware. I just replace the one on my son's M1009 this morning and the new one came with the hardware. There should be a nut for each mounting part that comes off. Mine had a castle nut at the tie rod end and on the axle side. The old damper had nuts to hold the shock on the bolt. The bolt in question was double sided. The new one had a bolt on the axle side along with a spacer with the nut on the bottom holding it all together. The tie rod side had the shock bolted to a the stud with the stud held on at the tie rod with a castle nut. Are you trying to replace it with a new one? If so you should be able to just throw it all away as the new one will have new hardware.

pinbill

The Rancho one I got from checker didn't have any hardware, looks like I have to return it and get one that does,

Thanks,

Bill

Armada

The Rancho one I got from checker didn't have any hardware, looks like I have to return it and get one that does,

Thanks,

Bill
I've gotten them without hardware too. Call Rancho first and tell them yours was missing, they should send it. If they say it's hardware they don't carry or include, well then someone else will get your money.

ida34

The one I put on is a Gabrial unit. I can get the number tonight. It also was only $30 at O'Reilly Auto Parts with the correct hardware.

DXTAC

I replaced mine with a $35.00 Advance Auto special and it included all the hardware for several applications. Took about 15 minutes and 5 of that was finding the creeper! LOL