• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing the running lights in the bumpers

AJMBLAZER

Has anyone replaced the low viz running lights in the bumpers with some of the small aftermarket fog/offroad lights? Was thinking about doing something like that for the rear and maybe the front. As we all know the reverse lights on these things are pathetic and was thinking that I could enlarge the hole a little and run some of those small, flat-ish lights in there with a seperate switch in the cab...maybe even rewire the original controls on the dash for them.

I swear someone said they had done something like this before but I can't remember if it was this forum or another...

Something like this:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...03729/p-2003729/N-111+10201+600010204/c-10101

AJMBLAZER

Yeah, I'd upgrade the wiring and make sure it had the appropriate relays and such. Just think it'd be cool, and kinda useful, to be able to reuse those switches and maybe even the fuse slots for those lights. Would also simplify the 12v power source for them.

CCATLETT1984

you wouldnt be able to use the same power source for the lights themselves, but could use it for triggering the relay. you will need to splice in a second power connection , since the factory setup for the lights is that all the power runs through the bo/service switch and then to the bo switch.

mangus580

I have been half looking for a set to fit the front holes... as I am missing my front lights. I never even considered the rear.... bu thtats a great idea.

AJMBLAZER

I swear someone on here mentioned it not to long ago. Sticks in my head because they thought the lights were 24v too but we know that isn't true...

JohnFire

I was looking at doing the same thing. Have you thought of when you enlarge the opening to keep the rolled edge but longer so that you can attach the lights directly to the bumper. Also have been looking at getting a headlight conversion kit as well since the headlights kinda bite too. I am just trying to figure what all I need to buy for that task

CCATLETT1984

I got the conversion lights from hella, they are way better than the cheap conversions you can get in the auto parts store, I paid $130 for the glass and I am also running 90w/120w bulbs with a headlight brightening kit(its a auxillary harness that draws power directly from the battery, the factory wiring only triggers a relay)

AJMBLAZER

The headlights are on the long list of things to do. Since the correct way to do it as CC mentioned is expensive...it's far down on the list.

I've owned a number of older 4x4's so I guess I'm used to lackluster lights anyways. Get in my wife's DD and it's like WOW!

Napoleon_Tanerite

Time to revive this thread zombie style. I'm thinking of doing the EXACT thing mentioned in the OP, and was wondering if anyone has gone through with this since the thread went dormant. What I'm thinking of doing is wiring the rear ones to the reverse light power source (simply splice into the hot side of the reverse light bulb, so when I have the truck in reverse, both lights are on) and in the front wire them to something that receives 12v when the truck is running, in effect creating daytime running lights. Additionally I might create some sort of override switch that turns them on manually for use when parked.

My real question right now is what lights to get. I'd rather not cut/expand the hole if I can avoid it, but I know the size is probably challenging.