• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing the Windshield

Matt65

My windshield is cracked and needs to be replaced in my 85 M1008. I have found a 78 Chevy truck cab with good front glass. It also has a rear sliding glass which could be helpful as it gets warmer. I'm not interested in financing the repair with my insurance, so I want to do most of the work myself. I will more than likely do the removal of the donor glass and my CUCV glass myself. Leaving the install for the pros.

Will the front glass from the '78 fit my 1008? Will the rear sliding glass fit? What is the best way to remove the old glass, and where locally should I look for the removal tool?

dstang97

you dont need the removal tool. just peel off the center locking strip and push on the glass. from the inside out. I like installing them with windex and plastic spoons.

kapnklug

Ya I've replaced several windshields in these trucks and never broke one yet! First put your feet up on the cracked windshield from the inside and kick the f****er out. Clean all the bits of glass and glue off the rubber molding, then pull out the hard plastic strip in the center. Lube up the rubber molding with soap and stretch it over the new windshield. Place the whole assembly into the window opening on the truck (two people). Use a bent-over screwdriver to pull the rubber lip into the cab (don't touch the glass!) while your helper sits on the hood and presses gently on the outside near where you're working. Work your way around the windshield, then insert the hard plastic center strip into the gap on the outside to push the lips out. Liquid soap makes all this easier. Finally if you want you can run a bead of roofing tar from a caulking gun across the top and sides just to be sure. Takes two people about an hour.

joeypushjr1

ok i dont know what you paied for the cab . but think about this. a couple yrs back i had a 89 chevy blazer i had to get window for and brand new and installed at a window place it was like somehting like 190$ out the door. your paying for this cab and going to do as much as you can then take it somewhere to have it finnished think on t=what theyll charge you to finnish .. plus what you allready had into it for that cab. to me not worth it .. but hey if you keep it at a price your ok with . hey go ahead.. my 2cents.

jimm1009

Peel the strip out of the middle but cut the old seal with a sharp razor blade knife.
You don't need to take a chance on pushing it out of semi stiff rubber. The old seal is not going to be used again so this will ensure a clean removal of the good used glass and a clean removal of the broken one too.
A word of caution, most glass shops won't guarantee "no breakage" unless you are actually purchasing the new glass from them too.
Just a thought but I would call them before they do the install just to double check.
jimm1009

ultim8gamr

The first few months I had my M1008 the center strip in the seal around the windshield was missing. After figuring out why it leaked and whistled going down the highway I bought a new center strip and replaced it myself. Its a real easy job and doesn't take all that long. A bought the strip at a local glass shop and the owner lent me the tool to do the work free of charge. While I was at it I took out the glass to clean it and added sealant around the seal to keep water out.

To take out the old glass without making a mess, simply take out the middle strip in the seal, then start at one upper corner of the glass and push outwards, work your way slowly around the frame and it should work its way out fairly easily. Use the window seal goop and then put your seal in the frame. you will see how it can be folded to allow the glass to fit in. use foaming window cleaner help slide the glass in. Once done with that, use the little channel tool to slide the center piece in and you're done. An easy DIY that really doesn't take much time at all. Don't take it to the shop, learn about your truck and install it yourself.
*forgot to mention also that it helps to remove the windshield wiper arms for the process.

Here's some pics of the process to show you what I started with. That's my buddy in the pic that came over to offer a hand. Final pic it the glass all back in

Attachments

Last edited:

lavarok

Call Safelite!

You can get the tinted glass with an antenna installed in your driveway or location of your choice..... What more could you ask for? I dont recall the exact price, but I know it was reasonable.

Matt65

ok i dont know what you paied for the cab .
I actually got really lucky. A good friend of mine has the cab and is letting my pull the glass out of it for free.

I have been out of touch for the past few days. Albertville was hit pretty hard by a tornado this past weekend. I have been there helping clean up. The truck deffately got me into and out of places I would have otherwise been walking.

Thanks to everyone for all the good information and pictures. :-D I have alternate transprtation, so I may actually end up installing it myself. If/When I do I will be sure to add a few more pictures to this thread.

Last edited:

rlwm211

I have a 1991 suburban (Same windshield) with is from CA and the original gasket was fine so I would look for cracking and dry rot before I condemn the old gasket.

You can easily do the job yourself. You will need a helper as the windshield is heavy and the idea is to not break the new one, and to not make a mess.

Pull the center locking bead out and then remove the glass. Once you take out the old one, you will see how easy it is to put in the new one.

Clean the new windshield first as this is the easiest time to do this and the edges need to be clean to seal properly.

Use plastic tools to help the new windshield into the gasket. I have seen installers use a piece of masonline to help roll the edge over the glass. You may have to help the lock slip into place.

I paid someone to do this once for me, and I will not do that again. It is just too easy and obvious as to how to do this.

The rear window installs the same as the front, except that it is a bit tighter and may take a little more finageling to get done.

Hope this helps

RL

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job on upgrading your glass! Looks great!

But man, you gotta change the dashboard cover. Looks like a model of the Grand Canyon.

ultim8gamr

But man, you gotta change the dashboard cover. Looks like a model of the Grand Canyon.
It had a cloth dash cover on it, but before taking those pictures we decided to take it for a spin around the block without a windshield. Needless to say we were blinded for a brief moment when the velcro on the dash cover let go and it flew up blocking our view.

2deuce

So if your gasket is good, leave it in the truck and work in the replacement glass? I took my truck in to a glass company, they said they reuse the gasket. That is what I plan on doing with a new strip(napa?) as I have a used windshield, now I wish I had saved the old gasket too.

Thanks

nyoffroad

So if your gasket is good, leave it in the truck and work in the replacement glass? I took my truck in to a glass company, they said they reuse the gasket. That is what I plan on doing with a new strip(napa?) as I have a used windshield, now I wish I had saved the old gasket too.

Thanks
NO!!! Do not leave the gasket on the truck and work the glass in, you will break it almost all the time.
While the seal is in place clean the glass groove out real well, any broken pieces of glass will cause the new glass to break also dirt in there will make it harder to install. Then put the strip on the glass (with out the lock strip) and use a a long and strong piece of string tucked in the body groove. Put the string in the groove starting at one of the lower corners , then go along the bottom and all the way around. The bottom should have two 'layers'of string, use masking tape to hold it all in place then using a helper set glass in place with the bottom groove sitting on the pinchweld. The helper now just lightly pushes in and down while you go inside a gently pull up and in on the string (hold both ends) and you will see the rubber lift up and pop onto the pinch weld, slowly work your way around the window always pulling on the string so it lifts the rubber POP! It's in, then install the lock strip any seam should be on the bottom centered DO NOT STRETCH THE STRIP!

roveroverme

Banned
I did mine myself. Had a crack in the old CUCV windshield. I went to the scrapyard and cut the gasket there, to not risk damaging the windshield. Then I came home and removed that old windshield cleaned out the gasket.
Installed the new windshield It was easy peasy, cost me $25 and I learned something new.
I watched this youtube video first, though.
http://youtu.be/hjVHOSt9QjY

Last edited:

2deuce

It looks like both ways work. I think the placement of the glass with the seal in the truck looks easy with the key being lots of lube and the windshield being in the exact place to begin with. If the gasket needs replacing then putting it on the windshield first. Thanks for both suggestions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks