• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacing wood bows on M101 A2

sggoat

I think I must have goofed the post before, but, the corners were blasted, primed and painted w/ Rustoleum Aged Iron paint. Bow Carriage Bolts & nuts were all replaced w/stainless and painted copper. For the sides, the bolts(flat head screws) were all replaced w/Stainless-into captive nuts--all painted copper.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking trailer! I like the mods of a winch & the piece to hold the bows from moving separate [thumbzup]

Why does the front bow have different corners?

sggoat

Fuzzytoaster is correct-4 wheeler and mower-or anything else that will fit. The front bow originally had a metal bow--I replaced it with Mahogany to match the others.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old thread I know
search didn't help.

I can't seem to find the dimensions for the Bow wood pieces on a M101A2
I have two composite rear gates and the wooden side boards are in excellent condition.

Trailer came with two complete sets of bows and almost all the wood needs replaced.
Top and side pieces.
I've pieced together one set that will work and hold the cover but it really needs new wood.

I would prefer all composite on top and sides of course but can't find any.

What are the dimensions for these?
I will be using regular oak for the bows
Sides are fine

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I could measure the ok ones I have but they are old and I'm sure have shortened up a bit.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Don't think they ever made composite bows for 101's, they were either wood or aluminum. Sorry don't have a bow handy to get you the specs.

CGarbee

Old thread I know
search didn't help.

Go back in this thread to my earlier post. Follow the link to the page on my website that has the dimensions for the bed wood on a M37 and M101.... You will find that I included the dimensions of the bows....

sggoat

Old thread I know
search didn't help.

I have two composite rear gates and the wooden side boards are in excellent condition.

Trailer came with two complete sets of bows and almost all the wood needs replaced.
Top and side pieces.
I've pieced together one set that will work and hold the cover but it really needs new wood.

I would prefer all composite on top and sides of course but can't find any.

What are the dimensions for these?
I will be using regular oak for the bows
Sides are fine
Mine are all Mahogany, so they may be a little off from the White Oak. I can measure tomorrow and post dimensions(I had to make two replacements)
When you say 'composite' what is that?-carbon fiber?

Attachments

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine are all Mahogany, so they may be a little off from the White Oak. I can measure tomorrow and post dimensions(I had to make two replacements)
When you say 'composite' what is that?-carbon fiber?
Fiberglass I guess.
Whatever the new style sideboards are made of.
Didn't know the new style bows were metal.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go back in this thread to my earlier post. Follow the link to the page on my website that has the dimensions for the bed wood on a M37 and M101.... You will find that I included the dimensions of the bows....
Totally missed that

Thanks

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a guy that sells an oak wooden replacement kit for the 101 trailers and others. (Yes Me)

The kit is cut to size with all the wood components and the ends are longer so you can trim to fit. For $350.00 you are saving $100+ from purchasing and a whole lot of aggravation and time in cutting these down yourself.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...trade-thread&p=1925284&viewfull=1#post1925284

I have the tools and some oak. Will need a few more pieces.

Yours looks good but I will be painting mine OD

sggoat

Fiberglass I guess.
Whatever the new style sideboards are made of.
Didn't know the new style bows were metal.
Dimensions for my original bow wood is:
57-3/4" long, 1-3/4" wide, 1-1/4" thick.
This is the bow wood, not the side boards---do you need the dims of them also?--can measure them for you if you need.
I did find out that the Mahogany is most likely from the Phillipines--best I can determine, it was std stuff from Kasel Mfg.
Gary

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dimensions for my original bow wood is:
57-3/4" long, 1-3/4" wide, 1-1/4" thick.
This is the bow wood, not the side boards---do you need the dims of them also?--can measure them for you if you need.
GAry
Thats exactly what I needed.
Thank you

Sideboards are in excellent shape.