• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing your multifuel engine with something else?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
74 cubic mm

So, about the dataplate pictured, the [74 MM' /STROKE] I am to read it as 74 MM³ of fuel flow at full advertised horse power.
i.e. 134HP at 2600 RPM.
OK, the apostrophe denotes and indicates MM cubed?

I am just looking at that final little fuel hose going from the daisy chained injectors (back to supply side) and wondering of the fuel flow, fuel pressure and volume at 134 HP 2600 RPM.

dataplate engine 1.jpg

So found conversions to something I understand and end up with
74MM cubed is .0025 fluid ounces so that is for sure not what they mean, It must be the volume of an area depicted by a 74 MM cube.

OK, back to studies. Ill be at that wonderful PDF from GimpyRobb!
View attachment spray_modeling_for_multifuel_engines from Gimpy.pdf

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Huh? Daisy changed ? That is the return fuel line not the supply line.
I went back and change that to "from" back to supply side. Is there still return flow at rated power?
Still trying to get to how much fuel is 74MM³

I just keep getting back to 74 fluid ounces per minute

OK then the thing on the dataplate is what it says it is it is "minutes"
It says 74 MM'
That equates to .5781 gallons per minute on whatever specific fuel was used for certification. That is more believable but still not right it seems.
OK, I be lost. I better just go adjust the idle or something.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

I just figured when you are talking about volume of a cylinder, I.e, the bore of the HH, usually it is expressed in a cubic measure. I always thought that apostrophe was a tiny screwed up "3" to be honest. So perhaps I'm mistaken. I don't know the exact bore and stroke of the HH, much less the formula to come up with volume from that so I can't say anymore than I did.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am attempting to acquire devices to measure fuel flow.
The Chevy Cruze diesel has an "alike" - to MANN design, combustion chamber and instrumentation feeds to various algorithms. I wish to have fuel flow data apparent to the pilot of a Deuce.

So far in/on a Deuce, methods of engine management seem to be looking at the tailpipe, and the "end" measured temperatures and the results of the "goesintah". It is good protection.
I want instrumentation for individual EGT's, CHT's, fuel flow's, ambiant pressure/temperature, coolant, bottom and top end lube temperature, static air pressure, besides accurate crank RPM and the time of day.
I want to know the goesintah, and the results, (goesoutah), like in the aircraft.

I must start at specific fuel consumption and that is the first question.
What the HEY does that dataplate mean?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you look at the LDS465troubleshootingTM, on page 11, it shows performance of the motor.
Gross fuel consumption at rated power and idle speed.

Granted, this is for the LDS, but a tuned LDT should be the same, if tuned by the LDS tuning procedures.