• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repower a M-911

The PIG Smith

Disclaimer: This question is just mental exercise for me.
The topic of which I am posting about is just me thinking out loud.
I do not own a M-911, or am I planning to buy one (I wish) or am I planning to repower one.

#########################

While I love the looks, power and capabilities of a M-911, I do not tolerate long exposure to the high pitched whine of 2 stroke Detroit Diesel.
I know some love that 2 stroke sound, but I do not care for it.

I'd like to start a discussion about the thoughts of pulling out that 8V92 DD and replace it with a Cummins or a Caterpillar.

1. I know the larger Cummins and Cats are I6 and not V8.
Wonder if a long I6 engine would fit under the hood.

2. The Allison CLBT-750 uses a SAE bellhousing (I think a #3).
So getting a Big Cummins or Cat to mate the Allison slush box should not be an issue.

3. I understand the M-911 uses an air operated throttle.
So, I am wondering if a person could physically install Cummins or a Caterpillar under the hood of a M-911, what other nightmares would a person need to solve, like an pneumatic throttle, wiring, pumping, etc..

4. Would a person stay with the slush box or switch to a manual tranny?

I've got a lot more questions, but I will stop to let the SS experts digest and discuss the questions that I have already posed.

All comments, opinions and flames are welcome and appreciated.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would drop that Cat idea like a bad habit....any engine painted yaller is going to cost big bucks to buy and to repair when it breaks.
My choice would be a 60 series Detroit.....just a Cat painted green and cheaper to buy and maintain. Speed is not going to be a factor because that truck is gearbound from the get-go. You can get decent torque and power out of the 60 series.
The 60 series is an in-line 6 and adapting it to fit where the double breasted "Yamaha" sits might present some issues.
It might be far more trouble than it would be worth. Hypothetically.

pyrogod117

All I know is that I can not believe you don't like the sound of a 2 stroke detroit... they are amazing.

Cat > all. But for this use they are expensive.

60 series detroit will get you better mileage than a cat and be cheaper to buy/maintain, but keep in mind they don't have much power for getting up to speed. For example, our new Pierce Tower Ladder is 100', weighs 84,000 lbs with an Allison auto and it's a turd. Takes forever to get up to speed. But if you don't care about speed and have the money, go for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks