• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repowering Deuce with LDS and a Brownie box

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Deuce is my daily driver, I drive it everywhere, Lumberyards, Diner with the wife, and to Knob Creek Machine gun shoots. So on long runs I want to go faster than 55 mph with my toes in the fan, but I like the multifuel aspect, Hence the repowering with LDS. OK LDS for power, next gears, do I redo the trans with Toms kit or put a Brownie Box in? After talking to others and checking around I chose to go with a Spicer 5831C auxiliary trans, with a .85 overdrive, which I was blessed with. Now a trip to Johns in PA for the motor this week, then pick up a few parts and get to work. I'll take pics and video of progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

71DeuceAK

"subscribed" LOL. I'm curious, I may be daily driving a Deuce as an only vehicle before much longer so these kind of upgrades intrigue me for sure.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put an LDS in my wife's m109. No extra gears needed, it will go fast enough to scare me, and pull hills in 5th sometimes accelerating at the same time...

The biggest problem with more speed is the stopping. Steering also seems not as good at 60+, and I have gone through it with a fine tooth comb.

59apache

Chipmaker
hey Ferro,
trial Mr.Gs powersteering mod.....it drives and steer like a modern truck with it :) . Driving through a traffic circle with one hand on the wheel is pure fun :).

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it will go fast enough to scare me, and pull hills in 5th sometimes accelerating at the same time...
I wholeheartedly agree! However, Tom's OD kit allows me to get scared with my LDS at lower rpm than you! I still don't know how fast it would run if I let it. I recommend that OD mod to anyone with a healthy, turned up and pyrometered multi.

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrob, I know that and I dwelt on it for awhile, but I only need speed for the road, so with the brownie box, I cruise the road and when I have to go off road or deal with our 2-3 feet of partly cloudy in the snowbelt, I will slow down and drop the brownie into direct [1-1]. Thanks again for all that you do for us!!

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 109 brakes will lock up, they are nice, but the truck I'm upgrading is my 71M35a2, brakes good, steering good, all around good truck. We take it to Knob Creek Machine gun shoots, an use it to pull a 26 ft boat here to there, I built a reese hitch set pu on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks